Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leaking into VE Commodore - 4 Fixes

Son1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore omega
Hi to anyone interested,

This is a fix for problems my 2006 VE Omega (which I love) had, all at once. So frustrating pulling things apart and realizing you didn't need to or you're unable to fix or even locate the problem you think you were looking for. I have thrown my hands in the air and parts & tools across the garage in disgust while yelling obscenities at them, I have walked away from the car telling it, its on the way to the tip before leaving it for another week while I soak my insides with beer. BUT, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I hope this helps someone who may be having recurring water ingress issues in their VE commodore.

We have been going nuts trying to find this leak that was filling the rear passenger foot well then the front passenger foot well. After numerous efforts of unblocking airbox drain pipes, unsticking the rubber seals at the bottom of the doors, readjusting door positions, we were about to have the windscreen removed and resealed when we found the calking in at a folded join under the planum cover, had softened and rotted away, allowing water to almost freely run in the seam into the car.

The area is under the bonnet hinges near the firewall, right in the corner. Mine was leaking on both sides of the fire wall and you need to remove the plannum cover for the left hand side to inspect but on the right hand side (driver side), you need to remove the windscreen wiper motor and assembly to pull the heat and sound proofing out of the way to inspect. To fix this I actually dug 2 or 3 inches long (50 to 75mm) of rotten caulking out until it looked clean, cleaned the area up with metho, dried it with a heat gun then siliconed it up, heavily. Pictures are attached, sorry I dont have step by step.

The above two spots were actually the last leaks I found, the first one is listed and commented on, in other threads on this forum, and that is cleaning/unclogging the little tiny itty bitty drain pipe in the bottom of the air box chamber with a piece of wire. It was draining but because it was mostly blocked, it could fill up and spill over into the front passenger footwell area if there was a lot of rain.

The second leak was the left hand front quarter panel indicator power wire, which runs through the internal car body to behind the fuse box in the front passenger side foot well. The grommet that protects and seals the wire as it passes through the body was deteriorated and allowed water to run along the wire if it managed to get down the inside of the panel. I left the grommet there and siliconed this up as best I could without removing the panel. To get to this you have to jack up and remove the wheel then undo all the button clips from the splash guard so you can remove it and get to and inspect the wire and grommet. I suppose you could inspect it by removing the indicator without removing the splash guard.... but I was committed already to removing it.

Trust me when I tell you, unless you base your life on doing everything with immaculate dedication, LEAVE THE CARPET IN IF ITS WET. just hold it up with buckets and stuff that will fit under it, soak the water out with towels or rags or whatever. It will dry out and unless it has already gone mouldy and started to rot, after a bit of carpet shampoo from your favourite car care product supplier when dry, will come up roses. The trouble to remove it was just not worth it for me, and unfortunately I got a long way into it before I realized that. But if you want to or you have already, good for you!

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them, if no one else has this problem ever, Fantastic. For the record, I think the caulking failed because leaves and crud get into these places and just sits there because you cant see it let alone wash it away without removing the plannum cover. It decomposes because it is damp all the time and takes the caulk with it.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 771
  • 20220425_115443.jpg
    20220425_115443.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 745
  • 20220501_105834.jpg
    20220501_105834.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 741
  • 20220501_105829.jpg
    20220501_105829.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 795
  • 20220425_121046.jpg
    20220425_121046.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 757

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Good write up. I ended up with the back footwells on my SSV soaked after the floods we had a couple of months ago. Mine turned out to be the plastic sheeting behind the door cards wasn’t sealed to the door properly so the water could run into the car between to door and the door card.

Think I’ll check out under my windscreen on the weekend and see what it’s like. Probably a good idea to clean it out as preventative maintenance.

Also agree that leaving the carpet in is best especially if it’s at the back (as mine was). Just remove the rear seat and lift up the carpet to let it dry. Also get the desiccant water absorbers you can get from Bunnings an put them in the car to soak up the humidity as the carpet dries.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mine was similar and I redid the panel sealant in those spots, however we were lucky and had no leaks there.

Agreed, good write up.

Son1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore omega
Good write up. I ended up with the back footwells on my SSV soaked after the floods we had a couple of months ago. Mine turned out to be the plastic sheeting behind the door cards wasn’t sealed to the door properly so the water could run into the car between to door and the door card.

Think I’ll check out under my windscreen on the weekend and see what it’s like. Probably a good idea to clean it out as preventative maintenance.

Also agree that leaving the carpet in is best especially if it’s at the back (as mine was). Just remove the rear seat and lift up the carpet to let it dry. Also get the desiccant water absorbers you can get from Bunnings an put them in the car to soak up the humidity as the carpet dries.
Thankyou, I actually removed the rear door trim first thinking that's what my water leak was and I still do wish that is what my problem was, it would have been a lot easier. It is interesting though when we were running water over the outside of the door with the trim off (trying to find the leak), just how much water runs inside the door and down that plastic. In our car, it either ran out the bottom of the door or escaped at the bottom of the plastic and still found its way outside. Really, unless you pull it off and check it out, you dont know where the water is coming from
Thats a good idea with the water absorbers, I never thought of that.

Son1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore omega
Mine was similar and I redid the panel sealant in those spots, however we were lucky and had no leaks there.

Agreed, good write up.
Thankyou Fu Manchu, you were the only person to respond to our original question in the other thread, which was a lot of info in the end and it stopped us pulling the centre console out all together (thankfully), just to get the carpet out in one piece. We certainly appreciated your input.
I'm glad you didn't have any leaks in those spots, the shape of the hole and the V shape in the join just funneled water down and into our car. Which makes me think, the reason so much water was getting down there possibly, was because the plenum cover rubber does not sit on the windscreen anymore, because it is out of shape from being in the sun I guess. We are looking for a replacement for that as well now, the whole plenum cover left & right side to further avoid this from happening. The vehicle is also back in the garage :)
Thanks again for your comment

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The importance of that plastic was covered in the latest skid factory episode.
At 13:50mins

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thankyou Fu Manchu, you were the only person to respond to our original question in the other thread, which was a lot of info in the end and it stopped us pulling the centre console out all together (thankfully), just to get the carpet out in one piece. We certainly appreciated your input.
I'm glad you didn't have any leaks in those spots, the shape of the hole and the V shape in the join just funneled water down and into our car. Which makes me think, the reason so much water was getting down there possibly, was because the plenum cover rubber does not sit on the windscreen anymore, because it is out of shape from being in the sun I guess. We are looking for a replacement for that as well now, the whole plenum cover left & right side to further avoid this from happening. The vehicle is also back in the garage :)
Thanks again for your comment
The Plenum cover is not ever going to stop water. The whole lot is designed to let it through (and we would argue it’s designed to leak into the car too)

Even with a new cover, water will cascade over the whole area and drain out down the firewall and via drain points.

Just heating that cover with a heat gun while it’s on the car (not too much) and weighting it with a sand bag as it cools, it should sit better.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Just heating that cover with a heat gun while it’s on the car (not too much) and weighting it with a sand bag as it cools, it should sit better.
Good idea. Mine is warped on the SSV. Might give that a go using the missus hairdryer.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think there will be a lot more VE owners plugging up their leaks after this. I've been chasing the train for at rear carpet recently too. Pulled off all the bottom for seafood and cleaned them, and removed drivers door skin to check how much dirt was in the bottom and cleaned it out with a paint brush. What's a good product to use to re seal the plastic lining? Seems kinda strange that the door innards would be designed to direct the water to run down the inside face of the doors? That will always lead to leaks at some stage. Surely some wise old elf in the design team would design team would make sure there was a deflector or something inside the door that keeps train taking towards the outside door skin? An I the only one that thinks that way.?