Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What’s the best sized stall for my cam?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Interesting very different experience to where I'm at with my car. Although as I noted large high end tyres made a huge difference for me. And yes yes, mine isn't a LS3 :p
The Magnum is 'soft and doughy' down low, compared to my Maloo (when it was stock).
The stock Maloo was really hard on rear tires, after an exhaust and tune it really hates rear tires.

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
With traction control switched off, will a VF2 (LS3) auto 3.27 diff wheel spin if your floor it off the line? I've never tried it.
OTR headers & tune making 275rwkw.
Std auto diff & cheap 245s on the rear.
If tyres cold will definitely spin from standstill, mid corner... everywhere :)
If tyres warmed up and surface is nice it will hook.

Just picked up a set of RE003s 275s so may try that later.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
OTR headers & tune making 275rwkw.
Std auto diff & cheap 245s on the rear.
If tyres cold will definitely spin from standstill, mid corner... everywhere :)
If tyres warmed up and surface is nice it will hook.

Just picked up a set of RE003s 275s so may try that later.
If it's anything like my experience will be light and day going to a quality tyre

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Okay, so if a VF2 auto will break traction flooring it off the line, a high stall converter is a waste of time unless you're running on the 1/4 mile with race tyres. As long as the camshaft's idle speed doesn't push the car with foot on brake, leaving the converter stock is probably best for a road car. I think a lot of the low RPM drivability issues with camshafts in autos are the tuners yet to master the calibration files well enough to tune them properly.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
Have a 2500 TCE High stall in my cammed L77 (Cam 224/232 608lift on both with 114LSA) So much better then stock.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Have a 2500 TCE High stall in my cammed L77 (Cam 224/232 608lift on both with 114LSA) So much better then stock.
Better at what than stock? I agree that a high stall is better at mimicking a manual with a slipping clutch, but I don't see much point in that for a general road car. A lot the stall thing is from the carby days where a big cammed engine idled at 1500rpm almost on the stall speed of a stock converter. With EFI technology and good ignition systems today, big cammed engines can idle at much lower RPM. V8 Supercar engines for example with camshafts around 270 @ 0.050", 0.730" lift on a 102 lobe centres idle around 900rpm!

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
Better at what than stock? I agree that a high stall is better at mimicking a manual with a slipping clutch, but I don't see much point in that for a general road car. A lot the stall thing is from the carby days where a big cammed engine idled at 1500rpm almost on the stall speed of a stock converter. With EFI technology and good ignition systems today, big cammed engines can idle at much lower RPM. V8 Supercar engines for example with camshafts around 270 @ 0.050", 0.730" lift on a 102 lobe centres idle around 900rpm!
Well, standard idle is around 550rpm, mine now idles very smoothly at 700. Pushing on the brakes is now back to where stock felt like and feels so much better.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V

Isn't the purpose to ensure on cammed cars in particular they don't bog down, because camshafts push the power band higher in the rev range?

Even on stock cars it's well documented LS engines aren't amazing under 3.5k rpm, it's why 3.27 or 3.45 diff gears are used to assist that

The idea would be that assuming you aren't running crap quality small rear tyres, that you can launch harder thus improve potentially significantly your acceleration with say a 3k stall

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Isn't the purpose to ensure on cammed cars in particular they don't bog down, because camshafts push the power band higher in the rev range?

Even on stock cars it's well documented LS engines aren't amazing under 3.5k rpm, it's why 3.27 or 3.45 diff gears are used to assist that

The idea would be that assuming you aren't running crap quality small rear tyres, that you can launch harder thus improve potentially significantly your acceleration with say a 3k stall
Back in the day I ran Hoosier Quick Time rear tyres at the drags, I could drop the clutch in a manual at 6000rpm with minimal wheel spin. On road tyres, I had to feather the car off at around 2000rpm to minimise wheels spin. On the drag tyres we did an 11.30 and on street tyres I think 12.7 was the best time and was mostly just under a 13 second pass.

The idea of the high stall with an auto, is launching the car off the line at higher rpm where the camshaft is working and with a stock stall speed even with tyre grip, you're launching at 1500rpm way under the camshaft rev range. In a drag race, the high stall will produce a faster ET.

A few years ago, we played around with a VZ 6 litre LS engine in an Improved Production race car on E85 and really sharpened it up in the midrange tightening camshaft lobe centres to 106 degrees and using a single plane carby manifold and 4-barrel throttle body Motec ECU. On a road car with 98 that doesn't support LS compression ratios, lobe centre is a compromise with midrange potential lost on lobe centres at 114 degrees or wider in some cases that also improves idle quality. The typical LS flatness under 3,500rpm isn't easy to improve without better fuel.
Well, standard idle is around 550rpm, mine now idles very smoothly at 700. Pushing on the brakes is now back to where stock felt like and feels so much better.
Do you think perhaps in the tune up when it's in gear, the throttle is opening up more than it needs to be? 700rpm shouldn't be riding on the stall. I've had a couple on the dyno in gear with foot off the accelerator and brake, they will spin around to 1500rpm and those cammed autos would push on the brakes. Out of gear they'd idle at around 800rpm.