Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What’s the best sized stall for my cam?

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
A crap tune?? All done by JP Garage here in Brendale...would not call it a crap tune at all. Anyway I'm done!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Better at what than stock? I agree that a high stall is better at mimicking a manual with a slipping clutch, but I don't see much point in that for a general road car. A lot the stall thing is from the carby days where a big cammed engine idled at 1500rpm almost on the stall speed of a stock converter. With EFI technology and good ignition systems today, big cammed engines can idle at much lower RPM. V8 Supercar engines for example with camshafts around 270 @ 0.050", 0.730" lift on a 102 lobe centres idle around 900rpm!

Agree. Mine is running a VCM5sc which VCM recommends having a 2500rrpm stall. Mine has standard stall converter
was originally a bit of a dog, but after having the tune tweaked it's now fine. Idles around 700 and doesn't feel like it's pushing.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
It's worrying in 2023 that some tuners still seem to struggle with the VE/VF Commodore, for anything more complex than bolt on parts.

Blows my mind that more customised gearbox and engine tuning for cams, stalls etc is this hard.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
It's worrying in 2023 that some tuners still seem to struggle with the VE/VF Commodore, for anything more complex than bolt on parts.

Blows my mind that more customised gearbox and engine tuning for cams, stalls etc is this hard.
lucky we didnt get the gen5 engines, but it would weed out all the duds

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute

There's a bloke in SA who's seriously bad at low speed drivability with camshafts in auto's, has been tuning LS engines since 2006 and he's still no good at it!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
From the threads on this forum there seem to be quite a few who only seem to care about the dyno sheet and overlook the everyday drive ability part of the tune.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
There's a bloke in SA who's seriously bad at low speed drivability with camshafts in auto's, has been tuning LS engines since 2006 and he's still no good at it!
and autos are the easy ones, wonder what he is like with an angry camshaft with a manual and super light clutch/flywheel

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
and autos are the easy ones, wonder what he is like with an angry camshaft with a manual and super light clutch/flywheel
His manual camshaft tunes aren't great down low but a little better than auto's. Stalling in gear and backfiring through the intake accelerating from low RPM and surging at light throttle and of course pushing on the brakes with high idle speeds are the general issues. Typically tells the customer they've fitted the wrong camshaft as the excuse for tuning deficiency.