Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What brake pads came out stock on VX Berlinas?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What part of what i wrote do you have issue with?

Do you not agree that different brands use different compounds? And the way that these compounds wear is what affects the life of the brake pad and also its efficiency (you've stated yourself you dont trust Protex to stop your vehicle efficiently)?

Also, could you make up your mind on where you sit in regards to Bendix.

Now your fishing taking my words out of context, you say 18mm each and that's not true indicator on pad thickness now is it, we can dance all night!! I did state "before Bendix went to china" did I not, we all know all brakes wear different but its not about that is it, its about what was then and what they are now. Lets move on.

Protex I would trust on normal driving but now and then I tow so that's why I would go with ACDalco for the front.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Now your fishing taking my words out of context
Not fishing at all. I stand behind everything i have said.. Can you say the same?
you say 18mm each and that's not true indicator on pad thickness now is it, we can dance all night!!
Since you are the one who has stated, point blank that you know that Protex pad material is thicker than Bendix. Would you care to back your statement up?
I did state "before Bendix went to china" did I not
Where in China is this factory?
we all know all brakes wear different but its not about that is it, its about what was then and what they are now.
What's your point/hangup on the fact that the pad material may be thinner? If it does the same job for the consumer than before, what is the issue? Can you prove that the Protex pad material will outlast at a similar level of performance that of a brake pad that has a thinner material but different compound? And if you cant, then this just points back to an oafish sales pitch of "Bigger must be better"
Lets move on.
Sure. Whatever you need.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Absolute rubbish. Get your facts straight before spouting more crap.
The company’s manufacturing plant in Ballarat, Victoria employs around 250 people and manufactures a large range of disc brake pads.

I don't want to play devil's advocate, but I was about to quote the same thing, straight off their website. It does also say that they manage a manufacturing plant in Thailand producing and selling similar products, but it doesn't list Australia as one of that plant's export markets and I would struggle to believe they would be importing their own products from overseas when their website also mentions that they invested heavily in their manufacturing plant right here in Ballarat.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've read a lot of people (on other forums) extolling the virtues of QFM pads. From what I can determine, Bendix is owned by Bosch and I may be making a leap here, but it would be a fair assumption to make that perhaps their domestic brake manufacturing is performed at the Ballarat plant as well? An hour of wading through their website has left me none the wiser though. The site says a lot, but tells you very little, if you know what I mean.
I'm very leery of overseas produced pads if any brand as it is still perfectly legal to produce asbestos brake pads in a lot of foreign countries. Counterfeit "genuine" ones have even made their way here and were fitted to thousands of Toyotas before anyone realised. Maybe I will create a new post with a poll seeking recommendations or usage rates of various common brands. The contributions here have been very helpful though, thanks everyone.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, possibly dumb question, but I've noticed different brands have different surface setups. What difference does it make if the business side look like this: [_____], this: [__|__], or this: [_|__|_] ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Vincent Bendix 1924 founder / owner in the 71 was Honeywell who sold the trade mark to Mat Holdings in 2014, that's America. Only thing I can find that Robert Bosch Pty Ltd owns Australia Bendix and Address is 33 Piet Rautenbach Street Brits South Africa, Gavin smith is president of Australia bosch.
So in all I was giving a bum steer on that, sorry about that I was lied to, don't trust anyone, oh well live and learn till u die. So does that mean Bosch Pads are the same as Bendix? I think I read that repco pads are made by Bendix is this true.
Again sorry for taking someone's word and not looking into it. Looks like they make them in other countries to for that region. Oh well that's life live and learn I will take the punchers.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I've checked Bendix boxes before and not seen anything saying made in Australia, or China or anywhere else. Sad, because often when companies do this it means they are playing games.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I've checked Bendix boxes before and not seen anything saying made in Australia, or China or anywhere else. Sad, because often when companies do this it means they are playing games.
That is true, so how do you know your buying the Australian branded ones, maybe the guy I brought from imports them at a cheaper rate, I don't know the real story and there not much said about it the only thing I know is what I wrote above.
In the end its a choice you have to make, pay for the name or go with something a little cheaper without the name, its like buying runners or anything in that matter your paying for the name. If you like racing and breaking hard or doing a lot of towing get a known brand and pay for the name, if you just drive like a Sunday driver then most other brands will stop you, all brakes fade but at what temperature.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the difference between quality with improved braking compared to saving 30 bucks over two years, i know what I'd choose. I have basically stock brakes and I like to think they are about as good as i can make them without going to a more modern set up. I don't understand why people think standard brakes have an economical option, when the cost savings are just $15 a year.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the difference between quality with improved braking compared to saving 30 bucks over two years, i know what I'd choose. I have basically stock brakes and I like to think they are about as good as i can make them without going to a more modern set up. I don't understand why people think standard brakes have an economical option, when the cost savings are just $15 a year.
That's not true harder the compound = more wear on the rotors, so if you buy the softer pads they may wear faster but wont be as aggressive on your rotors. So either buy more pads or new rotors.