Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sounds like he took advice from Jeremy Clarkson on boat motors.

My mate is a crazy prick....He just found the motor at a reasonable price and figured that'll do.

Going back 20 years ago, he put a full house clevo in a Transit van....First drive, stood on it and the front came straight up and dragged the rear bumper on the ground....

He said, it still wasn't good enough...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, because the bow is normally pretty heavy so it surprises me too. A 120hp is not a big motor. Lots of ski boats have 220hp motors. With that much weight on the back it might not get up to the plane very quick especially with a skier being towed, as the stern could dig in too much until it gets up to speed. This will make it hard to pull the skier out of the water. It will be interesting to see how he goes. He will likely want to get some more weight in the bow area to help it. Be good if @vc commodore can provide an update when his mate takes it out.

The boat is about 12' long, so having this 120 HP motor on it, the bow isn't going to dig in.....He is already thinking how he can keep the bow down so skiers can get out of the water.....

He's talking Easter on getting it finished and out on the water....Time will tell

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My mate is a crazy prick....He just found the motor at a reasonable price and figured that'll do.

Going back 20 years ago, he put a full house clevo in a Transit van....First drive, stood on it and the front came straight up and dragged the rear bumper on the ground....

He said, it still wasn't good enough...
Does he know much about boats and motors? I wonder if he has put an XL shaft motor on a boat designed for a long shaft. That might explain the extra weight.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Half a dozen sand bags up the front to start with.
Part of the problem could just be the trailer, if the axle is too far forward. But 12ft is a little boat for that motor. Should be fun.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The boat is about 12' long, so having this 120 HP motor on it, the bow isn't going to dig in.....He is already thinking how he can keep the bow down so skiers can get out of the water.....

He's talking Easter on getting it finished and out on the water....Time will tell
Bows digging in is rarely an issue. The stern digging in is what makes it hard to get on the plane and hard to pull the skier out of the water. He will need to get some weight in the bow to help it get on the plane more quickly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Part of the problem could just be the trailer, if the axle is too far forward. But 12ft is a little boat for that motor. Should be fun.

A heavy spotter up front will help.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hard rubbish next week so I've started getting things ready to go out.

We live on a corner block of a court with no nature strips in the bowl except for a part that slightly encroaches over our boundary.

So I add most of my stuff to that communal pile, put some stuff directly Infront of my own mailbox and if I have any leftover it goes out on the main road next to my neighbours pile.

Fact of the matter is the crews picking the stuff up really don't mind too much about the size of the piles on annual collection routes. It means the trucks fill up faster and they get to sit down and drive to the tip longer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Does he know much about boats and motors? I wonder if he has put an XL shaft motor on a boat designed for a long shaft. That might explain the extra weight.

Little bit....

He has been building all sorts of stuff since he was 10 or under and he's currently in his 60's.....So he knows a little bit....Spent the best part of 40 years building and racing speedway cars.....

And honestly with him, he is a nutjob, (in a good way) that just buys stuff like this, wacks on what ever he can and gets it all working.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Ain't the trailer......I just wish I took a picture of the boat once we got the motor on, just to help people get a grasp of the whole assembley