Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This explains quite clearly which direction the coupling should face using the triangular mark on the coupling
Yes it does.

The video Lash posted earlier shows that the coupling has three arrows pointing one way and three arrows pointing the other way (as does the drive shaft replacement section of the workshop manual I posted) which was a bit befuddling (having a headache all day doesn’t help visualising things)…

So it can be confusing but after visualising the coupler, it’s obvious whichever why the coupler is facing, as long as the arrows next to the driveshaft flange bolts actually face towards the driveshaft flange itself (towards the front of the car) then the drive forces will go through the fat part of the coupler.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I will have another look when I get home. Yeah no use marking anything as the coupling was new as was the diff.
As long as the little arrow at the drive shaft flange bolt position points to the drive shaft flange itself, it should be ok and the drive forces will go through the fat part of the coupler…

Sorry for muddling things up a little bit… but now when you look at it, it should be clear :rolleyes:

(As for the donut nuts and bolts, the manual says they should be replaced so I’d replace them just for piece of mind… would be different if Holden spec’d the max serviceable length of each of their TTY bolts).

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As long as the little arrow at the drive shaft flange bolt position points to the drive shaft flange itself, it should be ok and the drive forces will go through the fat part of the coupler…

Sorry for muddling things up a little bit… but now when you look at it, it should be clear :rolleyes:
That's exactly how it is.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
As I speak. I am doing an oil and filter change, trying this fusion stuff out with a little top up with edge. Will only be in the car for a couple of thousand, if that. Was going to wait until I pulled the motor apart, but the moped still isn’t on the road and it’s hit just over 7500k since the last service, so thought I would play it safe and get some cheap gear for the time being.

Any reviews on the nulon fusion? Was $40 so couldn’t say no for a very short interval.

Edit: Still lookin shiny.

Attachments

• AAA7E972-ABB9-4B66-B5A6-C3E9E6F5E788.jpeg
    AAA7E972-ABB9-4B66-B5A6-C3E9E6F5E788.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 47
  • B7C4D89F-DEF0-4C6B-9F45-2C4D0144F4E2.jpeg
    B7C4D89F-DEF0-4C6B-9F45-2C4D0144F4E2.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 42

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As I speak. I am doing an oil and filter change, trying this fusion stuff out with a little top up with edge. Will only be in the car for a couple of thousand, if that. Was going to wait until I pulled the motor apart, but the moped still isn’t on the road and it’s hit just over 7500k since the last service, so thought I would play it safe and get some cheap gear for the time being.

Any reviews on the nulon fusion? Was $40 so couldn’t say no for a very short interval.

Edit: Still lookin shiny.

I put some Nulon X protection in both my VC and VY last oil change...Haven't has any unusual noises, smoke blowing, oil pressure issues in the past 2 ish months since it was done...Kays unsure of....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm running out of options. I am probably clutching at straws but I think I might flip the coupling over just because I need to try something.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I'm running out of options. I am probably clutching at straws but I think I might flip the coupling over just because I need to try something.

Try a few road tests…

Drive at a speed that the noise is apparent. Then try a gear higher or lower (at the same road speed) and see if the noise changes.

Drive at a speed that the noise is apparent and lift your foot off the accelerator. Does the noise change? Do the same again, but accelerate this time. Does the noise change?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Put the young bloke's VRX into my mechanic for a service and a good once over.

Verdict - clean bill of health..... "good car mate".

Always nice to be reassured you didn't miss anything on first inpection when purchasing.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
@losh1971 bad centre bearing? Bad Uni joint? Tailshaft phasing? Buldge in sidewall or tread surface?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@losh1971 bad centre bearing? Bad Uni joint? Tailshaft phasing? Buldge in sidewall or tread surface?
Finished flipping the coupling over, and I still have the vibes. I noticed that the bolts are not opposite but all need to face the same way as the bolts with nuts need to have the arrow pointing to the heads. However, the other bolts now don't point to the heads and you can't have both pointing to bolt heads or the manual is wrong.

I have narrowed the vibes down to be worst at 50kph and start to improve at 55kph and are 95% gone at 60kph. The vibes can be felt in any rev range in any gear. You can feel the vibes in the brakes, clutch and steering.

GB we inspected the centre bearing and uni when the diff was installed just a few months ago and no issues. I have next to no movement in the bearing mount.

I'm out of ideas. I can certainly take it in next week and have the wheels balanced again. I don't know much about tyres and balancing but since it's seems to be speed dependent I wonder if one of my new tyres were damaged on my drive through Vic late last year? I hit some shocking holes on that trip some at over 80kph.