Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Yesterday, had the day off work, so i thought i would tackle replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys on my VZ SV6.

Well, it turns out, both of these are already after market, but i ran out of time and could only replace the idler pulley and belt.

My car is now getting hot pretty quickly even after a short calm drive, however chucking the heat on with fan full blast on the air con gets it to drop right back down.

Now need to figure out why the car is doing this.

Just to give note with this, it was having this random heating up issue before i touched the belt/pulleys, but now co-incidently seems to have gotten worse.

I have checked and made sure the belt is on correctly in case the water pump is not moving correctly, all seems ok though.

Have you bled the cooling system?

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Have you bled the cooling system?

I will need to do this when i get home, as i don't know which coolant was used when my radiator was replaced months ago, i will have to use water until i can have it all flushed and new stuff put back through.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You might also have a pump on the way out and the belt/tensioner work was enough to tip it over the edge. The aircon would step the fan up to cover the extra heat.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
You might also have a pump on the way out and the belt/tensioner work was enough to tip it over the edge. The aircon would step the fan up to cover the extra heat.

That was another thought, i'm hoping its just air in the system.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Got the thing roadied and finally transferred yesterday, after 2 1/2 years, it's finally done and finished...

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Bought front leather sets + rear power window switches for it.

Cut myself with a screw driver trying to replace something.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
VB Got serviced today. Older car with many more maintenance items means big service bill. Was an experiment in a) how much it cost and b) how good a job the garage would do. Category 'C' service. Oil, coolant, air/fuel/oil filter, plugs, balljoints greased, tune-up, wheel bearings repacked, transmission service, points, capacitator, check fluid levels, bleed brakes, car inspected and dozens of little tiny jobs older car needs...$700!! Not doing that again......(but don't like servicing transmissions myself, messy 'orrible job it is...)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
That was another thought, i'm hoping its just air in the system.

Well this morning before i left for work, i tried bleeding the air out of the system, car drank about 1.4L and had a tonne of bubbles, filled right up until the overflow hole in the coolant spout and the coolant started to come out of the bleed screw.

I made sure to have the heater set to hot, but not on and not air con on.

I drove to work this morning, calmly like i have been and had the coolant temp up on the dash the whole way.

After the car warmed up, it sat at 88c until i started driving it a bit, and it went between 90c and 94c when driving and hit top of 97c when at lights.

The car didn't go right up to hot like it normally does, so cross my fingers it has sorted the issue out.

Sometime soon i'll pay to get the coolant flushed out and new coolant.

SHFTVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Getting me some Calais lights tomorrow the executive... Just so it looks a little nicer
Took the covers off today and picking them up in the morning

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373435752.727723.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373435736.072908.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373435712.585305.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Fixed the central locking in the rear doors.