Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Jun 19, 2017.

1. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Doesn't matter how big shed starts off we'll fill it to the brim easily enough.

Remember thinking my first garage(tiny) was huge step up from oldies front lawn...current joint has double garage YET still had to rebuild bunky vp ute outside on footpath/driveway.

StephenM, Lex and losh1971 like this.
  2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    There's a saying, " you can never have too bigger shed"...... Place I grew up there was a garage that had probably 7-8 large bays. It had two hydraulic hoists and two pits. I was saddened to hear council have bought it and the plan is to tear it down.

3. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Nice. Shed never ends up being big enough.

Yep, mines 9.2 x 7.4 and a 5.5 x 7.4 carport. When I first moved in thought wow all this room.
    Now need to do a clean out and re-organisation and will still want more room.

keith reed and losh1971 like this.
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Gave it a wash. Took me nearly an hour as i had dried insects splattered all over it from over 30hrs of driving over the last few weeks. I cut out the bumperettes as they are all dark grey from being paint stripped a few weeks ago. Hopefully i can at least get some primer on them this coming long weekend. 20200301_164032.jpg

StephenM, Lex and afstruct like this.
  5. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    You've seen my shed now Losh and all it's contents, and to think 5 years ago it was totally empty. As the old saying goes, the more space you have the more shite you'll put in it. And that's my issue.

afstruct, Lex and losh1971 like this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yes but you have plenty of stock to last the rest of your life. I really need to start collecting stock from the local self serve before he crushes his VR stock. Although once I get set up I could start to keep an eye out for complete cars on FB classifieds and strip them down at home.

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Anyone got any tips on how to fit the outside rubber exhaust hanger on the resi end? I just split one of the $10 brand new hangers trying to push the ****** on using two screwdrivers. Ended up having to cable tie one side because the second hanger would have busted through.

8. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Hi Losh,

Not quite sure why you are having issues with this as there is a technique in how to do it so that it's very easy. Put the initial one on then position yourself so that you can pull the tail pipe firmly over to the left then use a very large (blue Stanley) screwdriver and ease the remaining rubber over the hanger point that's attached to the car with it already being slipped over the muffler hanger beforehand.

The Technique is as follows,

When the the pipe is pulled over to the left, slip the remaining left hand rubber over the muffler hanger and then while holding the tail pipe across slide the large screwdriver through the rubber hangers remaining hole and slide the screwdriver up so that the tip just rests upon the body hanger and then pull the screwdriver handle over to the left so that the rubber slides along the shank and finally up and onto the body hanger. Keep the tailpipe pulled over to the left hard throughout the rubber hanger stretching process and this way it will not break. If you want you can place a bit of grease along the shank of the screwdriver so that the rubber slides much easier along it.

Hope this helps you Losh.

PS. I'm surprised our expert resident Googler hasn't voiced his method as yet ???? Oh sorry there's nothing on Google about it is there ?

StephenM likes this.
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The issue is the towbar VSL I can't get the second screwdriver in position to leaver it because the TB is in the way. Lying on your back doesn't give your hands the force it needs either. I have had problems before but I managed to get them on after 20mins of work.

10. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    right, well I've always laid on my back with my head pointing towards the centre of the tow bar and my legs pointing out the rear left hand side of the vehicle, that way I can push the tailpipe with my left hand towards the left side of the car while using the pry bar /screwdriver with my right hand.

11. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Well I've just finished another full top end Ecotec strip down to do the Valley gaskets and full clean out of all the lifters.

Got it back together again only to discover a fair decent coolant leak running onto the ground. Hunted high and low only to discover the liquid was coming from the Stainless heater pipe O ring.

Ended up pulling the alternator, Tensioner and pipe assembly out as you can't get the pipe out if you have the ABS Module fitted which I do on this one. Pulled the pipe out only to find that the O ring has fallen apart due to using Vasoline. Not quite sure why this may have happened as it was the orange Viton type which shouldn't be affected by Vasso but it obviously wasn't a quality product and thus it let me down bigtime.

Anyway fitted another seal that I had on hand and re-fitted all the removed componentry and then refilled the cooling system and started it up and had some of the lifters clack for a while but within a few minutes it all went quiet as it's meant to and now it's back to being a reliable vehicle with only 98,000K's on it.

Shame about the body though.

Thinking about on-selling it as I really don't need a good work car that can cop a bit of crap in the car parks. If anyone is interested send me a PM as I can't keep 5 VS's too much longer, 4 is enough and I can't save all of them.

100.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    StephenM, woteva and losh1971 like this.
  12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I think I need some ramps, I'm trying to do it from behind and not underneath. I might have to borrow some, mine went missing and strangely no one knows where they have gone. Might use some rubber grease when I have another go once I purchase a replacement mount for the one i split.

13. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    On the vt l put trolley jack under whatever section l'm doing.The jack takes the weight,then l only have to lever it over, then slip the hanger on.
    Very easy.

14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The rear has two hangers which makes it hard. The first one is easy peasy the second one is a bastard as you have to fight to get it on. Its so tight to get anything in there is a prick. You have to try and stretch something that really has no stretch in it. If i didn't have a resi it would be no issues at all.

15. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    Vt has 2 hangers & a resi too. Right tools for the job make the job easy.

16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The main issue is that the exhaust hits on the towbar or body when you try to get the left mount on. You can't get the hooks close enough to each to get the left rubbber mount on without a **** fight. Issue is both rubbber mounts are needed as this essentially stops the other one from falling off, by fighting against each other which keeps the pipe centered. Having the two mounts ensures each one is stretched and tight.

17. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Yeap , same the tow bar on the utes make it sooo much more difficult.
    I'm pretty sure from memory I got so frustrated with trying to fit ( having no luck), years ago on the vr ute, actually dropped the tow bar and then re-fitted after exhaust hanger fitted.

Lex and losh1971 like this.
  18. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Wow ! it shouldn't much different to a wagon ?

19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    If I can remember I will pop up a photo. I think the wagon has more room on that corner. The ute has no room it's an arsehole of a thing. I have got them on before when I replaced the exhaust but it was a real bastard only made easier because of the pit. Lying on your back in the grass, with the wheels on the ground is just plain ****. The rear can is the issue. If it was few inches shorter I reckon there would be a ton of room.

20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20200304_210442.jpg

20200304_210345.jpg

20200304_210245.jpg