Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you feel safer in, classic or plastic?

What do you feel safer in?

• Total voters

shazz308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6
Well a little bit of both since i own a VN.
I particularly feel safe in commodores as they are huge and it gives me a psycological reinforcement that i am going to walk away from the accident and the metres of space infront and behind me will take all the impact.
I would like to see my VN against a getz or any other fuel economic zippy car thats cheap to run. I can almost picture whats left of it as the plastic snaps and my big buick engine takes to his car like a cricket bat to a ball.

U

UNR8D

interesting you talk about weight a HQ weighed in at 1.3 tonne, about the same as your average commo, but lacked side impact bars, a structual shell, you see the part that crumples is designed and VT onwards maybe even before are designed with breakaway engine mounts so in a front on colision the engine drops away under the car and dosent come thru to the passanger foot well thru the firewall, and the fact that they stop crumpleing when they reach the fire wall as its designed to keep the occupents safe, you will find there is alot more structual rigity in a new car then say even a VN/VR, add to that fact the airbags fitted in australia are :- SRS suplementry restraint system, unlike the US unless you have a seat belt on your airbag wont deploy and now even when it does you have pretensioners in the seatbelts to stop you from falling into an inflating airbag. i would lean a lil more about these devices then just say because your OLD tech car feels larger its safer.... they arnt.

O

ozute

Your opinion's duly noted UNR8D, cheers! I see the poll's neck and neck :D

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
UNR8D said:
interesting you talk about weight a HQ weighed in at 1.3 tonne, about the same as your average commo, but lacked side impact bars, a structual shell, you see the part that crumples is designed and VT onwards maybe even before are designed with breakaway engine mounts so in a front on colision the engine drops away under the car and dosent come thru to the passanger foot well thru the firewall, and the fact that they stop crumpleing when they reach the fire wall as its designed to keep the occupents safe, you will find there is alot more structual rigity in a new car then say even a VN/VR, add to that fact the airbags fitted in australia are :- SRS suplementry restraint system, unlike the US unless you have a seat belt on your airbag wont deploy and now even when it does you have pretensioners in the seatbelts to stop you from falling into an inflating airbag. i would lean a lil more about these devices then just say because your OLD tech car feels larger its safer.... they arnt.
Ive been tryin to tell em..... :bang:

U

UNR8D

lol thanks :D still didnt stop me having a VH SLE and a VK calais, still love the oldies, now i own something from the darkside but with ABS duel airbags and a few other safety features ;)

Bazzdogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S
classics for safe crashes... the bigger, chunkier and heavier the car, the less force it will absorb and more will go into gently but persuasively pushing the other plastic the f*** out of the way. No Sudden jolt to kill your much loved occupants. gotta feel sorry for the plastic though... oh and the people driving it. but you have to feel sorry for them buying them in the first place. THE CLASSICS WILL LIVE ON

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I feel safer in plastic - newer cars have crumple zones, meaning that the car takes most of the force rather than you, not to mention they also have improved safety features, such as airbags and ABS brakes.

And this is a really really really old thread.

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
plastic!

technology has improved cars alot and i beleive that the "plastic" cars are better.

crumple zones, airbags, not too rigid, abs brakes..

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
I picked plastic because id kick myself more causing worse injuries crashing my 55 chev classic that i want