Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you feel safer in, classic or plastic?

What do you feel safer in?

• Total voters

Silver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Calais
I hate to say it but plastic is infinetely safer than classic. We have multiple two stage airbags, traction control, safer interiors (less sharp edges and softer edges), side impact protection, rollover protection, and crumple zones.

But I'll still stick with my V8 VK Calais.

Cheers

Paul
[email protected]

O

ozute

Silver, my VR Exec has a modern interior, and crumple zones, that's it. No ABS, no traction control, no airbags... as for 'rollover protection', where is that? in the alfoil roof that provides shade? LOL.. In the case of prevention is better than cure, I think i'd rather be in a car that resisted crumple through strength, because unfortunately our bodies don't have crumple zones hahahahaha. I think I REEAALLLY miss my 253 V8 HZ ute :whistling

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Hmm, tough question.
I probably 'feel' safer in a modern car mainly due to being better equipped to avoid an accident in the first place.
But while newer cars are safer 'all round' - there are definetly situations in which the older car would be beneficial. Like when it runs into something that does crumple - ie. a plastic car. that way the newer car does the impact absorbing. There are statistics which show that big 4WD vehicles (much more rigid) are involved in many more fatal road accidents, however the victims are usually those in the car that the 4wd hits.
So yeah - if you're in a high speed impact with another vehicle, sure you may get whiplash like a mofo but you'll live. in plastic - no chance.
But its a different story if you hit solid stuff like trees.....

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
ozute said:
Silver, my VR Exec has a modern interior, and crumple zones, that's it. No ABS, no traction control, no airbags... as for 'rollover protection', where is that? in the alfoil roof that provides shade? LOL.. In the case of prevention is better than cure, I think i'd rather be in a car that resisted crumple through strength, because unfortunately our bodies don't have crumple zones hahahahaha. I think I REEAALLLY miss my 253 V8 HZ ute :whistling
Unfortunatly thats where you get it all wrong a classic doesnt crumble so your body receives full inpact force a newer car does crumble so the car takes the force not your body . :b:

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
The other funny thing is poeple saying ill stick with my classic ,a VK is classed as plastic really if it has plastic bumpers its a plastic if it has metal bumpers its a classis VK's VN's VL's etc are not classics.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'll definately take plastic.

I don't care about abs or airbags as such, just give me years and years of research into crumple zones and the effect they do and don't have on the body.

I'd rather I wrote off the car and came out with minor damage then the car not budging and me getting ripped in half.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I'm with the plastic cumble effect for my safety but against it for the following reason:

I drive around an 87 F**D (Not by choice) which is an absolute tank and the shell (although rusting) is hard as a rock, I can imagine me vs VZ, Although odds are the old F**D could be driven away from the accident no worries, wether I'm the one driving or the one in the back of the ambulance is another story. This car has been in an accident (mum) she hit a VR in Richmond... On the F**D there was a dint the size of your average fist at the very front of the passenger front quarter which snapped the tail headlight out of place (it was still in tact and only the back of it needed replacing) and the bumper sustained a crack and was pushed toward the drivers side. The VR however didn't fare so well, 30% of front driver's quarter demolished, headlight destroyed, litterally crushed all the way to the grille, front bumper seemed to shatter. At the time of impact the F**D was doing around 10kmph and the VR would have been doing around 25-30 (could be more could be less) so it wasn't the kind of impact that would cause bodily injury but certainly did hurt the wallet. Not ours because the car was uninsured and the guy never chased her for the money. I fixed the bumper and headlight, I needed to take a hammer to the dint for the new headlight casing to fit but I couldn't care less, the car ain't worth the LPG I put in it.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Im going to say plactic for 1 main reason.

cars have come along way since the classic years, all because of research and design.
the newer the car usualy the more safty features it has on it