Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you feel safer in, classic or plastic?

What do you feel safer in?

• Total voters
O

ozute

so which would you feel safer in, in a head on between a classic and a plastic Chevy?

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
this was probable covoured in the previous post wich i havnt read coz THERES TO MANY!!

i was told the best cars to roll where cars like skylines and magna's this is because they have no door pillars. manufacturers use the door pillars to support the roof, therefore the roof itself has no strength. a car without door pillars has a re-inforced roof. therefore making in stronger.

and BTW i was in an accedent when i was a kid, i think i was 3 or 4 we were in an old mazda (classic) and where hit front on, both cars where totaled. now the mazda's where the first cars ever to have a special saftey feature that meant when you have a front on the motor swings out to thew side and not back onto the driver or passengers. i have been told if we werent in the mazda i would be dead today.

O

ozute

It's certainly an interesting topic, and I think also shows that some people either don't understand or don't believe the reteric about new car safety, as opposed to the test of time and many experiences of old car safety. I mean that in a totally neutral sense too. As a personal example, I cannot give any credibility to crash tests that are done at 15km/h. If a crash test is done at 15km/h and it's stuffed well then what chance is there in real world stuff. Slam a car head on or into a tree at 110km/h and show me results thanks. :eek:

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I have heard from a good source who is in the medical proffesion that the cars of today are designed to kill you if you have an accident above 80 k's. The reason is the government does not want brain dead people from car accidents clogging up the hospital system.

jacko

Reaction score
Somehow I have my doubts about the above post.

ozute said:
so which would you feel safer in, in a head on between a classic and a plastic Chevy?
I still think plastic. The classic might hold together more, but I think the cars today are designed with safety in mind. If overall, the classic-type cars were safer in crashes, they would still be producing cars with that strength today - unless they are just using these 'plastic' cars to cut costs, but I still doubt it. For example, in a Mercedes worth hundreds of thousands, safety is definately an issue, and it's still a 'plastic' car. If the classic type was safer, then I think Mercedes would be using it.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
I think both cars have there advantages. Did you know you can stop faster WITHOUT ABS? but the advantage to abs is you can steer while braking.

I would rather be in a old holden/chevy/ford in an accident than the excel it hits. It really depends what you hit and how fast. If your going over 80kps your kinda ****ed. I dont care who says what, if you it a tree at 80kph your up **** creek.

Minor crashes and the old cars are porbably better, hit something at 10kph and out come the airbags (which for those who havnt had one explode on them, they do hurt, a lot) and $1,000s of dollars damage is done. Hit in an old car and you get out and go "sorry mate" to which he replys "na, no probs"

Id take a new holden ford over an old tank, but id take an old tank over a $13990 brand new hyundai, for that sort of money the car really will be all plastic.

Im currently rebuilding a HZ panelvan, im planning to put in ABS brakes and disks from a VZ Clubsport riding on 18" wheels. Thats gotta help aviod the crash in the first place.

Cheers

O

ozute

feistl said:
Im currently rebuilding a HZ panelvan, im planning to put in ABS brakes and disks from a VZ Clubsport riding on 18" wheels. Thats gotta help aviod the crash in the first place. Cheers
Feistl, fantastic, I LOVE those old vans and utes.. I've often seen some utes on Ebay going cheap which I'd love to grab but I don't know enough to do much myself. Please start a new thread and post your progress if you will please?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Skimming through (the treads too big to read in total) I get the feeling that people think that the cruple zone is also part of the driver cabin. The crumple zone takes the force for the rigid cabin.

Plastic any day. I can buy a new car not a new spine/limb/whatever.

P

pretty pink

personally i thin old cars...
think about it...taking on a crash ....whos the car that can still drive away..
not the plastic-completely rode of..
but thats just my thoughts