Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you feel safer in, classic or plastic?

What do you feel safer in?

• Total voters

Bazzdogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S
gotta love chevs
ive got my eye on several classics, chevy impala's, dodge charger's, (original) Ford Mustang... the only good fords are the classics. Although, the only things i look for in a muscle car are speed in straight lines, looks and the fact you can say "check out this beast" when your mates come over. ide go straight to a plastic for performance, handling and ride quality.

adzy_5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt clubby R8
plastic the safety lot better safety features these days

cdtoaster

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well a little bit of both since i own a VN.
I particularly feel safe in commodores as they are huge and it gives me a psycological reinforcement that i am going to walk away from the accident and the metres of space infront and behind me will take all the impact.
I would like to see my VN against a getz or any other fuel economic zippy car thats cheap to run. I can almost picture whats left of it as the plastic snaps and my big buick engine takes to his car like a cricket bat to a ball.

YouTube - Fifth Gear Crash-test Volvo 940 estate vs Renault Modus
YouTube - Volvo 740 spot
is this what you're after? the volvo is even heavier than a vn so tbh youd get snapped.
new cars are safer in any situation, its a proven fact.
new large car>new small car>old large car>old small car

Reaction score
Plastic/Late model cars. Sure they look worse after an accident. But the idea is for the people to survive a crash, not the car.
An old car is like running head first into a brick wall... the wall survives but your head is smashed.
A new car is like running head first into a wall of alluminium cans, sure the wall gets knocked down and you crush a few cans, but you didn't break any bones.

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
i go plastic as everyone said - because it has all the new features like more airbags, ABS, ESP and things like that.

But are the classic shells really that much stronger??? I mean alot of older cars probably have some major flaws, rust in locations and they just dont have the structual integraty people think.

But i dont know really - i just think newer even tho i dont care for the "saftey rating" on all these adverts