Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What does everyone think the future is for us holden lovers in this "electric" age NZ is in?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
yeah .in 1903 they had electric cars that could actually last 100kms before
What about in Nikola Tesla's day, he built an electric car, that supposedly didn't need charging. It somehow sucked (don't know the correct term) the energy out of the atmosphere (l don't know how, so don't ask).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
What about in Nikola Tesla's day, he built an electric car, that supposedly didn't need charging. It somehow sucked (don't know the correct term) the energy out of the atmosphere (l don't know how, so don't ask).
Probably got shut down by the powers that be because they can’t tax it and make money from it

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Probably got shut down by the powers that be because they can’t tax it and make money from it
He also supposedly came up with wireless power (again unsure of correct term).
They couldn't have that, NO money in it. They could of put a usage meter on it.

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
Just a thought .speaking of electric.funny lookin cars as they all look like old French s#itron's down here in the deep south .they now have electric recharge stations .at warehouse Invercargill. One at Oreti .more at Queenstown .was speaking to a hybrid owner the other day her and her husband flew up to Auckland then drove one down to Invercargill cost them one small tank of petroleum for The whole trip south .they are in their late 70's and early 80's.This technology for electric shopping trolleys is being used daily .I still likes to drive my vy through to Queenstown cruising .happy as.

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
Talking of electric cars. on a commodore club .Bluff Southland nz has just installed a recharge station .in the carpark alongside 4square. So next time you're down tasting fresh oyster's. crayfish. paua .blue cod...you can recharge as well ..no I'm not on the committee. Just was passingby.Cheer's.

uncle remus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 3.8 executive vy
Dancing with myself ! Billy idol classic .what do you'all think of the new electric Yankee truck.one of my little thoughts was imagine if they obviously one of the bigger manufacturers .sent out into car world a drop in electric motor??,they have the batteries for 500 kms out now..shoot I might just get that black commodore with a 10 sec mile electric donk!!! Over and out.Cheer's.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The situation in NZ is probably typical of what is happening world wide. The only difference would be the pace at which it is taking place. Geography has a lot to do with it. NZ is reasonably compact and providing recharge stations at reasonable distances probably isn't a problem. In Australia its a huge problem and the size of this country will hinder the take-up rate of electric cars for a long time,, or until cars with a range of at least 500 to 600 km are more readily available and affordable.
I've often wondered about the resale value of petrol vehicles as e-cars take over (and I believe within 10 to 15 years, they will). Buying a new. Petrol car within 7 or 8 years from now will have to be undertaken with the knowledge it will be virtually worthless as a trade in. How will dealers sell the last petrol cars? What will the small used car dealers do with their used, obsolete and unwanted stock? I see very interesting times coming. I can imagine the business of converting existing cars to electric power will also become big business but there will still be a lot of cars that will just end up on the scrapheap prematurely.
In relation to taxation to replace lost petrol revenues, in Oz they are already suggesting a road use tax based on distance travelled. I have no idea how that could be administered, but if there's a will, there's a way when it comes to bureaucrats devising new taxation methods.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Dancing with myself ! Billy idol classic .what do you'all think of the new electric Yankee truck.one of my little thoughts was imagine if they obviously one of the bigger manufacturers .sent out into car world a drop in electric motor??,they have the batteries for 500 kms out now..shoot I might just get that black commodore with a 10 sec mile electric donk!!! Over and out.Cheer's.

You mean this one ?

gglmmnvgjlgg2uyp3j0a.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The situation in NZ is probably typical of what is happening world wide. The only difference would be the pace at which it is taking place. Geography has a lot to do with it. NZ is reasonably compact and providing recharge stations at reasonable distances probably isn't a problem. In Australia its a huge problem and the size of this country will hinder the take-up rate of electric cars for a long time,, or until cars with a range of at least 500 to 600 km are more readily available and affordable.
I've often wondered about the resale value of petrol vehicles as e-cars take over (and I believe within 10 to 15 years, they will). Buying a new. Petrol car within 7 or 8 years from now will have to be undertaken with the knowledge it will be virtually worthless as a trade in. How will dealers sell the last petrol cars? What will the small used car dealers do with their used, obsolete and unwanted stock? I see very interesting times coming. I can imagine the business of converting existing cars to electric power will also become big business but there will still be a lot of cars that will just end up on the scrapheap prematurely.
In relation to taxation to replace lost petrol revenues, in Oz they are already suggesting a road use tax based on distance travelled. I have no idea how that could be administered, but if there's a will, there's a way when it comes to bureaucrats devising new taxation methods.

Not sure how well electric will work here either. I'm sure they are fine in the cities not sure about out in the country. In twisting hilly terrain won't be good either as it requires a lot of energy. Last time I went to Napier I noticed they have put an EV charging station right in the middle of the steep twisting section, you literally spend an hour going up and down steep climbs with nasty hairpin turns for a kicker so clearly there was a need for EV's to be able to top up.

EV's are clearly on the mind of the government however as they are working on a plan to improve the pickup rate of EV's over traditional internal combustion engine vehicles, in particular they are targeting the large vehicle SUV market as they are heavy polluters and with NZ running around the 90% renewable/green electricity it does make sense from an environmental perspective (ignoring the battery manufacturing/life/recycle argument).

kruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 50th Anniversary Edition
I have not, nor ever will, sit in an electric vehicle. If I want to sit in an EMF field that big, I'll climb a cell tower, and put my head up against one of the dishes.
The first time I went to the V8 supercars when they raced in Pukekohe, 90% of the atmosphere we enjoyed, was from the sounds the cars make. EV's are like someone tore the heart out of a vehicle, and put a high pitched dog whistle in its place.