Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What gear do you drive in? (economy issue...)

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Around town doing 60 I sit in 5th/6th. Not sure if I should be doing it as it struggles sometimes.

Since I have been I've gone from 18L/100 to 13-14L/100 though.

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
go for 4th as said above. around town will always give you bad economy try downshifting to slowdown too the less brakes you use the better your fuel

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
go for 4th as said above. around town will always give you bad economy try downshifting to slowdown too the less brakes you use the better your fuel

lol wut? downshifting = more revs = more fuel. If your pulling upto a set of lights in a manual and you use the gears to slow down instead of brakes you will use more fuel, unless you mean something else.

btw if your just cruising and the car isn't towing/struggling/going up a hill, 5th/6th gear will be fine.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
^ What he said, plus a vr is totally different than a ve to compare to.

SHEENY05

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Sounds weird......in 6th gear my SS ute only sits on 1000 rpm at 80km/h so I would think it would hate 6th at 60km/h

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Mine sits on like 800rpm in 6th at 60 and doesn't seem to mind it if I'm just cruising. A hill or anything and I've got to take it back

gts33som

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
lol wut? downshifting = more revs = more fuel. If your pulling upto a set of lights in a manual and you use the gears to slow down instead of brakes you will use more fuel, unless you mean something else.

btw if your just cruising and the car isn't towing/struggling/going up a hill, 5th/6th gear will be fine.

It will use 0 fuel using revs to slow down as vacuum is keeping the motor turning. Not fuel..

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I was of the impression our cars didn't have "clycut"? Holden and GM consider it abuse anyway and I'd rather be replacing worn pads than a trans but if it does work on our cars thats pretty cool.