Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What gear do you drive in? (economy issue...)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
This thread made me lol, all the random comments just made me giggle.

On another note, I tried engine breaking the SV6 the other day in active select and nearly shat my pants, most likely user error but I just don't trust that ****!

might be a good idea to drop the kids off before going out next time... :yeah:

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
How do you get into engineering mode?

My vy ss sits happily at 60k in 5th or even 6th. Always in 6th at 100-110k at ~1500rpm don't need to drop for hills just to overtake :)

I understood engine braking used 0 gas because the wheels were driving the engine so the ecu didn't need to inject any fuel.

To get into engineering mode you hold the enter button (the same one you use to reset the trip computer etc) then turn your key to the on position ... hold the wheel while your computer checks system or whatever it sais ... then you will enter engineering mode ...

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
A friend told me 5th or 6th (if theyre labouring) might put more pressure on the engine components (e.g. crank bearings). You definitely get some vibration down there in 6th.

5th uses significantly less fuel for me going along flat stretches at 60, I think I will keep doing it, it doesn't labour too much. Downchange to neutral for downhill runs and im sitting on good economy.

Might check all this with my mechanic though...

jace75

Reaction score
Members Ride
JULY 08 VE SSV 60th Anniv.
why are you looking for such economy when yo have a V6 or a V8?
if you cant afford to run it you should have purchased a Barina!!!

Why would you also coast down a hill in neutral? isn't the whole idea to be in control of the vehicle at all times?

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
A friend told me 5th or 6th (if theyre labouring) might put more pressure on the engine components (e.g. crank bearings). You definitely get some vibration down there in 6th.

5th uses significantly less fuel for me going along flat stretches at 60, I think I will keep doing it, it doesn't labour too much. Downchange to neutral for downhill runs and im sitting on good economy.

Might check all this with my mechanic though...
if you have it in neutral the car uses like 0.9L/100 where as if you have it in gear ... say 6th ... take your foot off the accelerator and coast down the hill it uses 0.0L/100 and you still remain in control of the car

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
i use 6th gear all the time.never had an issue with it.always change down for accelleration and hills.economy 11.9 to 12.5L/100:surprise: around town.im very happy with this.