Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can't rev past 5,000 RPM? and weird vibration when driving under 100 at 2,000RPM on 5th gear.

WhiteCommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Commodore VE V6 3.6L Auto
What was the reason the transmission was replaced. Second hand units usually come with Tq converters, probably beacuse there is a match. There were several coded trans. over the period of the VE/VF. Did you check for the correct one for your application. Your problem still looks either trans. or converter related, as you are still using the 'old' unit
This is what I’m wondering, i had a mate change it for me and he must of put back the TC back in and used a different one ? Still educating myself back to finding out what specific torque converters are for which! Thank you!

WhiteCommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Commodore VE V6 3.6L Auto
You'll be amazed what a motor will rev to when dreaming is involved... :)

Why it doesn't rev as hard as it used to....Answer is simple...The motor is cactus....Revving the tits out of them reguarly doesn't do them too many favours

To fix...Rebuild time....Both motor and gearbox
100% dreaming was there ! Sorry !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Appreciate your honesty. Good to hear you found the problem.

I was under the impression some of the later model engines had lower rev limits in park/neutral to protect themselves.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the auto transmission pooped itself, crap is normally produced. This crap would travel through the trans fluid pipes, the trans cooler and end up in the TC (which contains a lot of fluid. So before any new transmission is installed, the lines, coolers and TC need to be flushed. In fact, if the trans cooler is a trans fluid (oil) to air radiator, then I believe Holden specifies that a new trans cooler radiator should be installed (since such radiators can’t be fully cleaned via flushing). Note this isn’t the case where a trans cooler pipe runs through one of the tanks of the engine coolant radiator since that’s just a pipe and can be flush ok.

Not flushing the transmission lines, trans cooler radiator and TC can cause all the crud that’s trapped within to again get into the new transmission which can (again) cause issues.

Then there is the issue of how good a second hand transmission may be (which is anyone’s guess). There’s a reason they come with such a short warranty…

Also, as already mentioned, some cars have an engine protection (anti abuse?) mode which won’t let the engine rev past a rather conservative level when in park or neutral. This to protect the driveline from silly buggers who want to show off their car by reving it to redline when cold and stationary on their driveway… stuff can break doing such silly stuff… Whether your V6 has such engine protection I don't know.… I’m not even sure if the transmission can be held in low gear and reach redline when driving (at legal road speeds) or whether it ignores manual mode and unselects to (anti abuse)...

Really, you’ll enjoy your car a lot longer and spend far less money fixing things that you break if you show some mechanical sympathy, drive sensibly and service it appropriately.

Just something to consider…

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Revving
Thanks all for the replies, this is correct I completely apologise for being a bum. You guys are correct I did not get past 8,000 but I used to be able to rev on sport more or parking or neutral past 5,000 rpm at least.

I’m very sorry for this and wanted to correct that no , I do not thrash my car at excessive amounts of rev but i do remember being able to or having the ability to past 5,000 rpm. So I am wondering why now when it’s going on highway or when parked my engine can’t get past 5,000 rpm.

Once again sorry I want to be clear I do not go 8,0000rpm and I was silly to say, I definetly did once get to 7,000 but that was very brief and was ultimately the reason why I got the box replaced.

Sorry guys, terrible mistake on the writing there. I love my car and enjoy my Ute I just wanted to know why it dosent go past that rev range or if the car has always been like this and I’ve never noticed, thank you all so much for the replies . I can see some a quite humiliating as well which I can totally understand like the “public transport one “ haha!

Anyways I managed to solve the vibration one, the rear disc brakes were warped which was prompltly solved. Thank you guys for the comments ! Sorry about that haha!
Revving the 5 speed auto to 7k rpm once or twice or three times will not cause it to break, so I am not sure what did.

Also, there is no reason to apologise for revving your engine that high lol