Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What has control over the spark.

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soarer 1jzgtt VH commodore VZ svz
Hi Guy's

I replaced the engine in my VZ SVZ 6 cylinder the replacement engine I know was running I saw it with my own eyes. Has the PIM computer has it got any control with spark? I replaced my ECU and got it relink to BCM and PIM but it sounds like the engine firing order wrong and will not start

It's not a coil pack or spark plug or ecu or fuel pump, so trying to work out what else it could be?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why did you replace the ECU? Were the engine and ECU from the same car?

Go back to your original ECU and see if that does anything. A lot of these swap issues seem to be related to cam sensors, so even go back to the original ECU and use your original cam sensors on the new engine and see if that does anything.

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi _R_K_L

When I got the car it was not the original engine and it was not running! it had the original ECU on a replacement engine. Both the ECU I have do the same thing. But when you mention "A lot of these swap issues seem to be related to cam sensor" this got me thinking!

I was at my bothers the other day pinching cam solenoid actuator off his alloytec and noticed his cam sensors had a different plug I was going to take them as well!

Do you think the plug and cam sensors on the original engine may have been like the ones on my brothers engine. I never saw the original to know.

we maybe on to something..

the ECU I got linked to BCM and PIM came with the motor that is installed in the car, so I don't know if will effect cam sensors? either way end result is same both ECU's

this is my other post on the forum about car https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/the-cursed-vz-svz-that-just-will-no-run.272610/

should they be merged?

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the ECU I got linked to BCM and PIM came with the motor that is installed in the car, so I don't know if will effect cam sensors?

If they're all from the same original car I doubt swapping will make a difference. The cam sensor issue is usually if you use the car's original ECU, sounds like they used a few different types.

What about the engine loom? Unknown if that makes a difference but did you swap that too?

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes the engine loom came with the motor and ECU that I got linked to original BCM and PIM inside the car. I only got the original ECU swapped over because I thought that was why the car would not start.

So the ECU is the same one that worked with the cam sensors on the motor. but the BCM and PIM I don't know if the original motor had same cam sensors as this replacement, would that have any thing to do with no starting?

So the engine loom was on the replacement motor I know runs so that part must be ok and all the parts on the motor are ok also. the other wiring loom that goes from the ECU into the car is original one from car.

the car is not giving any error codes either making it hard to work out whats wrong.

I can post a video of what it is doing if that helps.

could a missing earth do this sort of thing?

Last edited:

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
20180829_0821091.jpg

has the fuse box got the right engine control relay? see picture

Attachments

• 20180829_0821181.jpg
    20180829_0821181.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 167

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
20180829_0821181.jpg
A timing light, don't you use them on old cars? I just need to know if engine control relay is the right one it look like wrong way around in picture

Last edited:

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
see here is another picture from forum. see engine control relay looks different
fullsizerender-jpg.183425

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
I changed the solenoid it made no difference at all..