Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the point of bigger rims?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
As the title suggests was wondering what advantages/disadvantages larger rims have? As far as I can tell it would seem you can get a little more rubber on the road and less side wall flex with larger rims and then lower profile tyres but on the other hand you add more mass to get rolling and increased cost of tyres (not to mention the rims) and potentialy reduce ride comfort on rough roads. Opinions?

PS The way it looks is not part of this question as asthetic appeal is in the eye of the beholder not because Giavani thinks it's "sic mate".

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Nothing but disadvantages really, lower profile, less traction, reduce ride quality, more expensive tyres, etc, etc.

Stockies are always a good option, I'm thinking of changing mine to stockies actually getting sick of feeling every bump.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What's the point of any modification to a car?

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
To what was said above I would also include extra weight to the vehicle as well, not by much but it would be more than what you started with. At this point in time I am deciding on whether if I should go to 20" rims just purely because that the stock 18's seem too small on the car (maybe its just me). Also debating whether I should just just lower it as is but I am yet to see a sv6 lowered with the standard wheels. Looking at pedders, either sports ryders or ssl's.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Nothing but disadvantages really, lower profile, less traction, reduce ride quality, more expensive tyres, etc, etc.

Stockies are always a good option, I'm thinking of changing mine to stockies actually getting sick of feeling every bump.

LOL

Advantages:

Improved handling presuming you retain the same rolling diameter. The reduced sidewall size gives a much stiffer tyre that improves cornering greatly.
More rubber on the road as they are generally wider so more traction.
Looks a lot better!

Disadvantages:

Harsher ride
More expensive tyres
Heavier, though the effect is debatable as Ive been down the 1/4 mile on both 19s and 17s and didnt notice any difference.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
From what I understand, as far as grip is concerned, a 40 profile tyre is ideal for the commodore, ie. 19inch wheel. You won't have any dramas with a 45 or a 35 profile tyre (18 or 20 inch wheel respectively) but beyond that either way and you start messing with the handling (too much lateral flex or not enough) - and that is without going into legalities. As for the weight argument, it depends on what the wheel is made from and how it is constructed.

If you're purely talking about larger diameter wheels then it's basically cosmetic, but you can also go wider or have a greater offset which will impact on handling.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Definitely looks better, no doubt. As far as the wideness goes that's true but I find it just ends up spinning most of the time anyways lol. You will probably get better fuel economy on stockies, less friction.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Definitely looks better, no doubt. As far as the wideness goes that's true but I find it just ends up spinning most of the time anyways lol. You will probably get better fuel economy on stockies, less friction.

Tyre size isnt the only factor in traction, cheapo tyres will always give crap traction even if they are fat. The compound is also important.

As for increased friction with wider tyres it would be so minimal as to be barely noticeable if at all.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tyre size isnt the only factor in traction, cheapo tyres will always give crap traction even if they are fat. The compound is also important.

As for increased friction with wider tyres it would be so minimal as to be barely noticeable if at all.

Very true, I have experienced this first hand. Steering will seem slightly heavier with the wider rims/tyres.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I don't see the point in these huge rims with jack-all rubber between them and the road.
My stepson hit a pot hole with these 20" rims or there-abouts, smashed two rims and sent him into the ditch. Rougher ride as well, with these bloody things. Nope I'll stick to my 225/50/16's.