Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the point of bigger rims?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Maybe you should inform the V8 supercar teams of this so they can stop running low profile tyres, go back to 15s and then corner faster.

That would save them running over 3 degrees of negative camber at the back as well. Strange they didn't consider that sooner... What a cost saver for the teams!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
That would save them running over 3 degrees of negative camber at the back as well. Strange they didn't consider that sooner... What a cost saver for the teams!

hahahahahaha

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
well if the v8 supercars had smaller brakes and could fit smaller diameter wheels im sure they would LOL

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
well if the v8 supercars had smaller brakes and could fit smaller diameter wheels im sure they would LOL

See... I knew there'd be a good reason for it! Maybe they should just take out all the right hand corners and make every track a nice, steady oval shape, double the amount of cars and get rid of the brakes completely. Then they could run 15s.

Oh wait... That's nascar... And boring.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I believe there's something about the gyroscopic effect too with larger rims- and that makes the wheels resist turning. No idea if there's much difference between the 18/19/20" that the VE was designed for, but the 22's available are definately affect handling. Top Gear Australia had the HSV/Walkinshaw supercharged clubsport on the track and the with the 20" rims it was 3 seconds faster than with the 22s - and that also included stock brakes in the 20's versus larger ones in the 22's. The times are posted here (position 13 and 26): Top Gear Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Top Gear Australia - VE Clubsport R8 & R8 WP Stig's Laptimes - This Issue with the 22's is partly due to tyre profile but mainly in my opinion due to the rolling diameter being too large and affecting gearing (acceleration) and braking.

It has been proven time and again that the best aspect ratio at the racetrack is between 50 - 35. Outside of this you get too much sidewall flex or not enough.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Someone tell the F1 teams to stop fitting tyres with such massive sidewalls as well

F1 cars are required to fit a control tyre aspect ratio over 13 inch rims - this is not to improve performance but to standardise competition. There is a push to up this to 18 because the 13s are very expensive to manufacture due to the need to strengthen the tyre walls. The bigger the tyre wall, the greater the forces moving through the wall of the tyre and therefore the heavier the tyre has to be through reinforcement. Magnesium alloys are lighter than reinforced tyres, reducing unsprung mass. So the greater the tyre side wall, the stronger it needs to be at higher speed ratings, and therefore the greater the unsprung mass and this affects suspension tuning.

If you're not doing track work, then you have to accept that Australian roads are rough, worn, and have quite severe camber on some roads. I for one am not going for 19s when I order my SSV, the 18s on the SV6 are more suitable for my preferences. Interestingly the unmarked SS police cars also run the 18s that you see on the SV6 not the 19s. We have to accept that aspect ratios 20 inch and over are probably more about on track performance. End of the day you live with your choices... .over every bump.