Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What!!!!! No dvd player for the 2015 VF.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
After 9 months in my Calais V, until this thread I didn't even know it played DVDs. But I looked it up in the handbook and is says in can. Who would have thunk.

But I am mighty angry that they are dropping that functionality in the MY15, not that I was going to buy one but that isn't the point.

And what about the lever under the dash in the FJs that opened the scoop near the windscreen to let fresh air in?! Gone in later models; I used to love that thing. Now I have a stupid electric sunroof. Who needs that? And don't get me started on drum brakes. Another deletion.

And the DVD keeps playing and does not stop after 10 minutes like the radio...and even keeps playing after you lock the car down....a bit strange...did not leave it going after lock down....so who knows maybe when the battery runs out of juice....I had an FJ and FC with the bench seat and my wife sat in the middle...a bit of a distraction in modern day motoring...and the big plus was at the drive-in...you did not have to climb over into the back seat...like the modern day car....:hmmm:

Did not know the Trax had drum brakes....surely disks on the front...the Barina has disks up front but drums on the rear!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
thats a few km's already

Yep, up until 4 weeks ago I was driving 1,000km just to get to work and home each week. I have now moved and live 4 minutes from work
Ps. I picked the car up new in December 2013

any major issues? V6 or v8
Due to the amount of K's that I knew I would be driving, I bought the V6 this time, no major issues so far, car is a great long distance comfort cruiser and just had the updates to IQ to get the reversing grid lines.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Aside from looks, which bit of the polymer intakes makes them inferior to aluminium exactly?

I am not real sure....I worked at BHP in the project dept.from 1957 to 1990....steel was steel....alloys were alloys and aluminium was aluminium....plastic and polymer were never discussed.....but tell me why polymer is better than alloy....it is like modern homes built out of hebal and foam...no need to go through the front door.....just cut a hole in the side wall with a chain saw!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Being a section that is only carrying air and is not load bearing why not plastic?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Being a section that is only carrying air and is not load bearing why not plastic?

Exactly. I can think of a number of reasons right off the top of my head.

Shape
Heat
Weight

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
I have driven 60,000 km in my VF CalaisV and still have not put a CD or DVD into it yet, I would not even know if it works. All my music is on USB or Bluetooth.

I don't blame you for not using a CD or DVD. Its easier to just use a digital device such a usb plus you get to customize the music then and have more music on the one media device.

killabob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have just purchased a 2015 VF and although the DVD player would've been nice i can do without it on one condition, is there any other way of playing video through the screen?

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Jesus you guys are a fussy lot. Delete dvd who cares no one uses it anyway.
Some people will only be happy having a whinge

+1 never used it cause you you can only use it whilst stationary and the battery has auto-cutoff after 15 mins. What is the point?

And no you can't drive your car whilst watching movies on the screen , that is illegal , why would anyone want to do this mod on their VF DVD player so they can? Idiots.

[YOUTUBE]?v=aTOD76iy0SU[/YOUTUBE]

AUSTRALIAN DISTRACTED DRIVING LEGISLATION

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I don't blame you for not using a CD or DVD. Its easier to just use a digital device such a usb plus you get to customize the music then and have more music on the one media device.
True that, it is the digital era. A USB device with everything is alot easier.

Off the top of my head I can think of why disabling VIM (Vehicle in motion) could be handy. Id personally install some rear seat entertainment screens for kids and simply hook the video line up to one of the video inputs from the mylink headunit.

****.. even getting a bit nerdier, install a custom carPC and inject video into their to display custom information or custom media screen without the "vehicle in motion" nag screen.

Pitty that the unit costs so much, all its doing is injecting a custom diagnostic testing over-ride command over the GMLAN bus after clicking the button. Hardest part is having the correct hardware.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I use the DVD occasionally, just purely for the music quality. A lot of DVD's will be at a higher bit rate than what might be on a USB.
There is some logical reason for its use. We are not all idiots....

I actually would like to put a blu-ray player in, again purely for the audio quality.