Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What other cars did you consider when buying?

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I have a colorado 7 for the wagoneering, 4x4 2.8l td engine go anywhere fun but i stll have the vf for comfortable long road drives.

It comes down to what you want out of a vehicle, i know if i had to choose again i would still go a 4x4 for wagoneering but that is because i enjoy beach fishing camping etc.

I can't stand the way 4x4s drive on the road. I've got a modded GU Patrol for off-road or if I ever need to tow or carry big stuff but it only gets used around once every few weeks. That's why I'm thinking I don't need something as big as a VF for daily driving and an Audi A4 may be more suitable.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I was looking at either a BMW M3/M4 (very expensive and no longer V8s) or the newer M2 (no V8 but a lot cheaper than an M3/M4). When the salesman told me that the M2 had almost a two year waiting list, I told him that I could be dead by then (I once considered myself as no longer young, but lately, especially in the mornings, I realise that I am just f..king old). So I traded my 15-year old 383 HSV GTS in on a Gen-F2 GTS. Still think it was a good decision, except that the VF is so much bigger than the VX, and more difficult to get into my driveway and into parking spots. However, the ride quality is magnificent and comfortable. Handling is great, and if it wasn't for those bloody A-pillars always getting in the way, winding roads would be a dream.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
In 2016, I had $85K all up to spend.

I looked at new and very, near new cars;
BMW M2 (2016) and M3 (2014) - quite laggy from the go.
Porsche Boxster 981 (2015-) - I'm too tall.
Audi RS3 (2016-) - My second choice.
2016 HSV Clubsport 340 - I honestly don't like the look of the rear.

I decided to go with a Redline with W375 from new and add a cam etc.... I haven't spent $80k yet, but have really good value.
Car has Camaro/Cadillac Brembo 6P monoblock fronts, 2-piece DBA Series 5000 T3 370mm slotted rotors (matching rear 360mm with original Brembo), Braided lines all round, full DiFillipo exhaust, ceramic headers, VCM OTR CAI, Koya 20" SF06 wheels (Staggered; 9.5" fronts and 10" rears), Amps, Sub, Helix DSP, Alpine Amp, Speakers and some other subtle exterior touches.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
What other cars did you consider when buying?

What else did you guys consider and why did you go with your xxxx?

I just read that 'KIA' might not continue the Stinger model because it was only ever meant to be an aspirational design and they will focus on more profitable models now that buyers have noticed the KIA brand. The report also stated that the Stinger would really have to be popular in USA for KIA to continue developing it.

So does that suck for the people that bought one? Or is it better to have a discontinued model that either fails because it had hidden issues or becomes a rare classic because it was good.

It must suck for the Australian Police force, they started buying them and now they have to start looking for a replacement.

The Police invested years and $$$$$ developing the VE/VF Police spec, maybe it would have been better money spent to buy up all the final production of VF and stick with what they know and can rely on.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I just read that 'KIA' might not continue the Stinger model because it was only ever meant to be an aspirational design and they will focus on more profitable models now that buyers have noticed the KIA brand. The report also stated that the Stinger would really have to be popular in USA for KIA to continue developing it.
Cynical Forg (is there any other?) sez: they've probably decided the Genesis version of the same thing is more profitable and that it's cheaper to only make one car rather than two with the same underpinnings but without different body/trim/panel parts ... they can probably afford to pick up only one G70 (??) sale for each 10 Stinger sales they would have made & they'd probably still come out in front.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I just read that 'KIA' might not continue the Stinger model because it was only ever meant to be an aspirational design and they will focus on more profitable models now that buyers have noticed the KIA brand. The report also stated that the Stinger would really have to be popular in USA for KIA to continue developing it...
In this drive article, the Kia design chief Gregory Guillaume was quoted as having said "the Stinger was at best a branding exercise in that continent’s market (meaning Europe)" and "it will take sales success in a large market, such as North America, to keep the Stinger ticking along".

Sadly USA stinger sales volume seems to be a little less than 1500 per month. I've got no idea whether this volume is enough to keep it going within the USA but i have some doubts.

If it all hinges on USA as Guillaume was quoted as having stated and the volumes are considered low, then it seems it's on borrowed time.

It would be sad to see the stinger disapear as that simple reduces our choice. If such trends continue, we'd all be driving some commodity SUV styled 150W electric assisted 600cc front wheel drive sh!tbox that's overpriced (yes i'm being a little facetious in case it's not clear).... o_O

[edited to add the following]

Oh, and if Kia brings in some 'aspirational modle' only to dump it from our market because some other market doesn't like it, Kia may be noticed for something other than what Kia had hoped for)

The Aussie March 2018 sales volume was 184 Stingers so per capita wise, Kia is selling at a better rate hear than in the USA. Sadly, this is somewhat short of the hoped for 500 aussie sales per month. Kia could drop the price to $45k DA for the V6T (old SS V8 money) and watch the sales jump.

Last edited:

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
What else did you guys consider and why did you go with your VF?

I was cominh from a 07 BMW e90 335i, cars I considered included

VW golf R, BMW f30 335i, Ford F6/XR6T and older gen HSVs

I've some doubt on VW's reliability while f30 335is are very rare to find in WA around my budget ($40k), xr6ts was the cheapest to own and modify but let down by the taxi spec interior and I'm just not a fan of the FGX look vs the VF 2.

Now that the VF gets a similar engine as the older HSVs minus the "look at me" body kits was a plus for me and for the same price I could get a much lower km and year with the VF 2 which made the decison for me.

Was interested in the KIA stinger but the prices haven't dropped down to my range yet on the 2nd hand market.

Didn't check any Japanese cars as they don't really make any decent performance sedans anymore (or any), only option I could think off was the current WRX at the same price on the 2nd hand market as the VF 2, but a CVT? Gimme a standard slush box over that rubbish anyday.

Andrewe351

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS Ute
I was seriously considering a new Camry hybrid, but it was a 6 month wait.
Considered a Mustang, but you can’t park them anywhere, they a a d1ckhead magnet.
Then my daughter in law bought a VE SSV Ute in manual and let me have a drive.
Always wanted a V8 ute but couldn’t get a decent Ford.
Bought my first ever Holden.
Pretty happy so far.

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I decided to just keep the 535i for a while longer. It's more money than I really want to have tied up in a car but cheaper alternatives all seem like pretty big compromises sadly. I may even just turbo upgrade the 535i and keep it for ages.