Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What petrol do you use?????

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
95 in the car.
Use 91 in whipper snipper/chainsaw/mower keep a small jerry in the shed

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I use BP 98 for every thing whipper snipper, mower, scooter (daily) barina spark (wife’s car) and the mistress (vf ssv).

With the wife’s car if she puts 91 in she only get about 480-500kms out of a tank and if I put in 98 she gets 550- 580kms out of a tank.

I don’t know what the turnover is of the fuel at the servo I go to but it’s always busy.
I also won’t get fuel if the tanker is there when I pull up

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
There was a guy taking 500ml samples from a servo near my work and if the truck was there filling the tanks up about 200ml was dirty watery crap.

He was doing this because he filled his car up at said servo and basically destroyed his fuel system (his words not mine) and the servo wanted nothing to do with it because he didn’t have a receipt even though the staff pretty well know him by name.

So if there’s a truck there I’ll drive on and come back about an hour later.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What were the samples like the day before the truck was there ?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Why is this so ?

When the tanker offloads it's fuel, it stirs up any water & sediment accumulated over time in the servo's tank
Because litre for litre water is more dense (or heavier) than fuel, the fuel floats so to speak, on top of any water & sediment in the tanks
It is the refilling process that causes all the accumulated crap in the tank to mix with the fresh fuel.....But it does separate again and all the water and sediment returns to the bottom of the tank

I worked at a mates old man's servo about 25 years ago
He used to organise the fuel delivery before the diesel or petrol tanks got down to a certain amount of litres left in them
He had worked it out over time that refilling before getting to "xxxx" amount of litres left, didn't disturb any water & sediment in the storage tanks....And he hadn't received any complaints about contaminated fuel for quite a few years

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Interesting.

Are the pumps from the under ground storage tanks situated in the bottom of the tank and, if so, why is the water & sediment not sucked up to the bowser in the normal course ?

Or, are the pumps situated at a level above where the water and sediment collects so it is not an issue until it is disturbed by refilling ?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@VS 5.0 pretty much every other sample had a little dirt and water in it but only like 1-2mls and in all honesty your never going to get 100% clean fuel from a servo.
So now if I see a fuel truck at or leaving a servo I don’t go.

As @Tonner Matt said it all settles back down after XX amount of time.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I don't know the exact location of the pump/pick up point in the storage tanks....Would be interested to know though
I think the pumps would have to be located at a level above where the water and sediment settles in the tank

In my experience just talking to people, it seems whenever anyone has got bad fuel it has been after a recent fuel delivery
I would say that most of the time it is due to the water & sediment being stirred up in the tank, but there's been times when the fuel has somehow been contaminated prior to delivery and being put in the storage tanks