Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What petrol do you use?????

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I run BP 95, because I have a BP 2 kays away from me....Travelling I'll run 95 or 98 if they don't have 95. Tried 91 once out in the middle of know where and the car ran like crap....So never again

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Mobile and Shell 95/98 got flex fuel and turned.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
An industry insider says 91 95 and 98 is basically 91 plus additive ie an octane booster ... and if true it is not a particularly sophisticated octane booster either ... and the quality differences between some brands is in our heads because it often comes from the same source ...

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Didn't think that a V6 had a distributor, or are they different over in NZ (LOL).

An industry insider says 91 95 and 98 is basically 91 plus additive ie an octane booster ... and if true it is not a particularly sophisticated octane booster either ... and the quality differences between some brands is in our heads because it often comes from the same source ...
I have heard the same thing. However that does not explain why I get far better economy from Vortex 95 and 98 then any other brand of fuel. I tested fuels over a number of tanks and i was getting 50 to 60km more from a tank of Vortex over any other fuel. Others have said the same thing and some of those were chicks.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I have heard the same thing. However that does not explain why I get far better economy from Vortex 95 and 98 then any other brand of fuel. I tested fuels over a number of tanks and i was getting 50 to 60km more from a tank of Vortex over any other fuel. Others have said the same thing and some of those were chicks.

I got the impression there were two groups of fuels that brands went by.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
and the quality differences between some brands is in our heads because it often comes from the same source

WA has one refinery.....BP in Kwinana.....and I know that fuel from there goes to servos branded other than BP.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Allied 95 and from No Frills Self Service stations as is around 10-12 cents cheaper, currently 203.9cents/litre.
No regional fuel tax here currently

I'm waiting with baited breath for the Gull up the road from me to be built , so I'll use their 98 eventually , Waitomo fuels up my way is cheaper than the big players , and is supplied by Mobil , so begs the question , why don't Mobil just lower their prices . Ah the fickle nature of the oil companies . No regional tax here either.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
I'm waiting with baited breath for the Gull up the road from me to be built , so I'll use their 98 eventually , Waitomo fuels up my way is cheaper than the big players , and is supplied by Mobil , so begs the question , why don't Mobil just lower their prices . Ah the fickle nature of the oil companies . No regional tax here either.
Gull 98 is E10 , fortified with ethanol. I was using it while it was under $2/litre. My local Gull's price for 98 octane(E10) is around $2.05/litre, and for the lowers km's/litre is not justifiable in the V8 anymore..
Mobil,BP, Z all are "service" stations where you are paying extra to pump the fuel yourself ( whereas someone should be on the forecourt doing it for you to justify the extra cost)