Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What preventative maintenance to do on a LS3 ‘keeper’

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Yella Terra Ultralite roller rockers mounted on half shafts
Can these be fitted to the LS3 without rocker cover spacers?

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
A4696361-C556-48F7-BF75-379EAC744D23.jpeg
A6A60CD8-92AF-4921-8F17-701E9F3637A4.jpeg
A4696361-C556-48F7-BF75-379EAC744D23.jpeg
A6A60CD8-92AF-4921-8F17-701E9F3637A4.jpeg
I’d recommend a quality aftermarket oil filter such as these k&n units with regular oil, & transmission fluid changes and radiator flushes.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Absolutely prudent, and essential before 170,000km.

My experience for engine only... then there’s driveline and chassis...

Item - km - price inc r&r
Harmonic balancer - anytime - $500
Radiator cap - 100 - $20
Fuel pump - 70-170 - $500
Valvetrain - 150-200 - $2500
**Best value is complete overhaul**
Alternator - 200 - $500
Water pump - 300 - $700

Both, yes.

PAC 1511x or 1519

I recommend as part of the valvetrain or complete overhaul you swap in Yella Terra Ultralite roller rockers mounted on half shafts, spec better cam with larger base circle and use higher rocker ratio (per LS7 and all the Gen V engines).

Monster, thank you for the detailed and informative post.

My thinking at the moment is to leave the car stock standard while it is under warranty (3yr, 100,000km) as it is ‘protected’ by the Holden warranty. However, once it is past the warrenty and to look at upgrading the valve train.

I have a relative how has a fully mechanics workshop who works on heavy vehicles. I think that I could arrange for him to assist me (or for me to assist him?) with the work. Any suggests on a shopping list for upgrade parts?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Monster, thank you for the detailed and informative post.

My thinking at the moment is to leave the car stock standard while it is under warranty (3yr, 100,000km) as it is ‘protected’ by the Holden warranty. However, once it is past the warrenty and to look at upgrading the valve train.

I have a relative how has a fully mechanics workshop who works on heavy vehicles. I think that I could arrange for him to assist me (or for me to assist him?) with the work. Any suggests on a shopping list for upgrade parts?
Looking back three years is a long time particularly with stock performance at the end of model run.
There's a few upgrade paths to take depending on what you want from the car, but to make the most of it without spending too much I'd say increasing the volumetric flow with tuned CAI and headers is first step. I'd do that straight away.
Then improving the way it drives with better suspension, rotors, wheels and rubber. The car is one of the best sports saloons ever made, stock is fine but there's a decade of serious aftermarket affordable handling waiting your perusal. There is no comparing stock with aftermarket (except maybe springs).
Finally improving the way it performs across the board at the very core with continuously variable valve timing. Like most modern engines, you can have your cake and eat it, no need to compromise any characteristic of everyday driving to enjoy an extra 100 horsepower and efficiency leap.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Hang on monstar... how do we get CVVT into an LS3? Having had Mazda's and Honda's with it, I understand the huge potential in a NA motor (it'd be AWESOME). But what about technical compatibility, impact on reliability and cost?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hang on monstar... how do we get CVVT into an LS3? Having had Mazda's and Honda's with it, I understand the huge potential in a NA motor (it'd be AWESOME). But what about technical compatibility, impact on reliability and cost?
Yes not that hard technically but is not traditional so beyond comfort zone of most mechanics. I did mine a few years ago done 170k km since then logging and tweaking.
Highly efficient, reliable and heaps more fun than dealing with the compromise of a clumsy big cam.
Straight conversion is $3.5k but there are a few smart options with considering.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes not that hard technically but is not traditional so beyond comfort zone of most mechanics. I did mine a few years ago done 170k km since then logging and tweaking.
Highly efficient, reliable and heaps more fun than dealing with the compromise of a clumsy big cam.
Straight conversion is $3.5k but there are a few smart options with considering.
So keen on this idea. Has anyone else done it domestically, or are you still the one ranger mate?
I reckon My VF Redline is a perfect platform. Wanna do mine ???

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So keen on this idea. Has anyone else done it domestically, or are you still the lone ranger mate?
I reckon My VF Redline is a perfect platform. Wanna do mine ???
Aye hi ho, Silver be me mate, I know the man
Lone pir4te endlessly sailing beyond safe harbour, calibrating new course and finding sweet booty in uncharted places o_O
Of course the perfect platform is the L77, but Wagga is a trek from Moreton Bay, ay?
Happens I’m excited to be pulling out my donk :eek: this month so I’ll make a video of the conversion steps with my revisions and walk you through it. Then either I convince my family that there is gold sailing off to Wagga and wrenching VVT, else can send decent instructions along with some tits and bits in a box, including an AutoCal to talk directly with your ECU all the way from city to country using the magic of NBN :D
In any case after yours gets full sail I will do a bit of a write-up so people can get the gist and best choose a cam for VVT.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can these be fitted to the LS3 without rocker cover spacers?
**** I missed that sorry. Well don’t know with LS3 frankly because different to L77 where yes, some extra clearance is required, dremel smoothed certain bulgy bits. Spacers and thicker gasket would have been a smart move for L77 with 1.85.