Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should i do here with me VT good people of just commos forums?

CatchUpNextTime

Reaction score
Members Ride
I own 6 (rareish) commos (i think)
Sorry just commos i posted this in showcase because i am an idiot and didn't read the new member instructions re new threads.

I want to know what to do with this thing. It's not my daily although i take it to work now and again just to give it a run. I kinda need some cash but it owes me more than 5k (long story but a man can dream right?) and from what i can tell it's only worth about 2k if i am lucky. Now everyone is starting to drool hard re the last of the aussie 304's and this is the first of the LS's in Aus it's in a weird spot.

2000 VT SII Calais, fully optioned, Gen III 5.7, 4L60E, 250k on clock, Stock AF, Dual Fuel Fogger, About 300km per 60L BBQ GAS, bout same on 98 pump out of 72L tank, body AC

I want to know whether i should do any of the options below

1 - Sell it and say bugger it for a grand or 2, it's reg'd and costing me over a G a year (thanks QLD transpo) and be done with it
2 - Dereg it, park it up at a mates outdoor under a cover and wait till someone might care enough to pay 3k
3 - Dereg it and make long term plans for it, like 10 year plans when it hits 30yr classic reg
4 - Keep driving it every now and again and keep eating the G+ a year till like above someone cares

Honestly don't know, rides great, leather, factory sunroof, stock as bar the lpg install which happened at sale. Bit of lifter tick (it's a 5.7 : )) and LS needs some love. Have done rear main recently and spent some $'s, reco'd tailshaft + lots of other stuff, all receipted, will pass legit RWC and gas cert for the LPG.

Smokes my L67 SS and any of the ecotecs i have with only half throttle. I have way quicker cars than this but she's comfy and it just makes me smile like only calais owners would know. Turns heads west of Durack and South of Runcorn : ) It has the BIGGEST plastic engine cover i have ever seen.

Not necc trying to sell it just after some advice? Please help me good folks of just commos, happy to post more pics. How sweet have those 17's aged!?!

20181007_133735 (2).jpg

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
depends on its condition inside an out and engine gear box kms etc what its worth dont pay to much attention to other sales they might be poor condition high kms have problems or seller is after a quick buck put what you think is fair on it might have to wait a little longer for the right person to come along looking for that perticular veichle in a certain condition rather then just someone looking for a cheapy 8 cyl any make or model ....also i would seas the day bank the money waiting around for the price to go up anything could happen to it and you will have to spend more money on it that kind of game is for people with oodles of money it all depends on what you value more the money or your car ..cars mostly arnt investments to the average joe

CatchUpNextTime

Reaction score
Members Ride
depends on its condition inside an out and engine gear box kms etc what its worth dont pay to much attention to other sales they might be poor condition high kms have problems or seller is after a quick buck put what you think is fair on it might have to wait a little longer for the right person to come along looking for that perticular veichle in a certain condition rather then just someone looking for a cheapy 8 cyl any make or model ....also i would seas the day bank the money waiting around for the price to go up anything could happen to it and you will have to spend more money on it that kind of game is for people with oodles of money it all depends on what you value more the money or your car ..cars mostly arnt investments to the average joe

Yeah you have nailed my problem with "it all depends on what you value more the money or your car". I honestly don't know the answer to that. As i said it owes me more than 5k, i don't need the money but it would be nice but i also don't need the car but it's also kinda nice. If it was 25,000 km and not 250,000 it would be a no brainer i would keep it. I'm not out to make a buck and am happy to take a bath on it as it is high km and needs some work and I'm not a bullshit artist. I'd love to sell it to someone that wouldn't pull the 5.7 and gearbox (she shifts beautifully) out to put in whatever. Most people wouldn't, they'd be looking for a gen IV 6.0. I don't think that VT's have hit that "classic" status yet and I'm happy to be a speculator even tho a friend said they never will (hey they said that about the VN/VP but have you seen how much a clean atlas grey VP SS goes for now?) If this was a VS 304 calais again, no brainer i would keep it.

Your answer has given me more thought though thank you friend. Probably not worth selling vs what it owes me so maybe park it up at mates for nothing and see what happens in a year. It's just the baggage of having to worry about it as you said anything could happen. If someone waved $2500 in my face tonight i'd prob take it and wish them well. If they waved 3k i would ditch the probably. Like i said a man can dream. : )

What you reckon folks? Seize the day as per ant's take on it? I don't really need the car or the money, hence my dilemma...

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I got 2300 for my vy ute v6 in average condition in w.a with 274k on it maybe try selling in another location in same state

CatchUpNextTime

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks my friend, more helpful than you know, after i sell the calais the next that should be sold is my VY v6 ute

Did it take you long to sell yours? or it went pretty quick for 2300? Mine has less k's (210kish) and again is hard for me to price because of the paint job, listed as rust colour on the roadie. VY utes on car sales with this k's seem to be about 4-6 grand but that's the tell him he's dreaming price

20190326_110943 (2).jpg

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Thanks my friend, more helpful than you know, after i sell the calais the next that should be sold is my VY v6 ute

Did it take you long to sell yours? or it went pretty quick for 2300? Mine has less k's (210kish) and again is hard for me to price because of the paint job, listed as rust colour on the roadie. VY utes on car sales with this k's seem to be about 4-6 grand but that's the tell him he's dreaming price

View attachment 209387
Sold in days plenty of bights sold via facebook on market place pluss a few local but n sell rags...ute looks cool by the way

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Yeah, the paint job on the ute looks siiiiick. Regarding the calais, you could sit on it, might be worth something one day (now that Holden's given up the ghost). Or, you could reco the engine, build it a little, throw on a supercharger, a TH400 (and a custom tailshaft), some deep dish 19's, superlow suspension (and rear camber bushes of course) - Bags would be nice, a CTS-V big brake kit, and then thrash the hell out of it. At least you can tune the factory PCM with HP Tuners.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
It's A One Way decision And you like driving It and Don't Need The Money.

Maybe sell the ute first ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That camo ute be hard to see on dusk, I reckon strip the black beauty and sell the parts u get more that way.

CatchUpNextTime

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's A One Way decision And you like driving It and Don't Need The Money.

Maybe sell the ute first ?

Yeah very true, just if i keep it rego'd to drive in QLD that's almost 1200 bills a years to do so. I should just park it up and maybe one day it'll be worth more than the 2k i'd get for it now. Don't want to part it out as it's all 100% original and that would make me a bit sad.

Ute is def for sale. Want 4k but would take a bit less.