Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should I do?? (To buy or not to buy)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
what sort of price is he putting on it?? and more to the point, why is he selling it dirt cheap???

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
if u dont have much money petrol is going to suck, as with insurance and u'll always get that "paranoid" feeling if they're going to get u for driving an 8 n all that legal mumbo jumbo

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
Ripcell, thats a pretty good point... Although if they wanted to the police could tell me I cant drive it and give me a nice fine and loss of points. I have driven it past police a couple times and they didnt even look twice though. I would like to say "this is MY car" but hey, if I do end up getting it that way I can complain :p

just say ur car is off the road getting fixed or something and u needed to get around, if its in ur perants name then they have they have to believe it, they might still right u a fine, but it can actually sound like a genuine reason, not just cos i wanted one...

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
As it stands at the moment, it is a $105 fine for driving a high powered vehicle. With no points. As of 1/7 it will increase to $322 and attract 3 demerit points.

So yeah, you could register in your mum or dad's name and hope you don't get pulled over. I'd be more worried about insurance. I don't think you could insure it in your name either. I couldn't see an insurance company coughing up if you ever needed to make a claim. I mean legally you're not allowed to drive it.

I think it is a big big financial risk. Personally I'd never contemplate it. I say wait until you're off your P's then get one.

geez it sucks to live in the east....mate easy fixed buy the ss and come live in WA! :thumbsup:

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
Buy it, lock it in the shed until you can drive it. Get a cheap bomb to use for the time being. They're great, get one and thrash it till it stops. Then flog it to the wreckers.
Or, buy it, and let your dad use it, leave it rego'd in his name etc, and borrow his car, or other family members cars.

Or just move to WA or Tassie

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Just car AND AAMI (who are just cars parent company) would have insured me as a 16yo learner, so I think they would probably be the only ones who would insure me. I wouldnt be looking at getting much change back from 3 grand though.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
what sort of price is he putting on it?? and more to the point, why is he selling it dirt cheap???

For me... about the $12,000 mark I think (Red book have it for about 19-22g) from what I've seen though, redbook are VERY conservative with their pricing. It has 101,4XX ks on it.
It's a "Company" car and the lease runs out in March, so either we pay out whats left and sell it for what other SS's are going for, or I get it at the pay out price. (Sorry, if I don't get it at that price, we will be selling it for what it's really worth :p)

If I don't end up getting it, It'll be in the 'cars for sale section' around mid march :)()

My dad is getting himself a toyota aurion or ve calais.

I like the idea of getting a bomb to use for a couple years. I mean... I doubt they'll be that cheap in two years... Its hard to find a VT for that much

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
GET IT! GET IT!
haha think about it, you have your p's so there going to hassle you anyway so you might aswell be in "mums" or "dads" car if they ask:D.....
tell the cops its your mums car, and tell your mates its yours, simple:D:D
and as for rego? wouldnt you be able to keep it in your mum/dads name? and for insurance just put you down as a part driver but drive it all the time:D:D:D, im put down for my old mans 4wd, his monthly payments didnt change but my excess if IIII smash it is 1500.... but only 500 if he smash's it...
and if u keep the insurance/rego in there name it will look better for you if the cops pull you over?
just a suggestion because thats what i was going to do with my dads vp when he had it(DAMN IT! THAT WAS NICE! pitty he sold it)...... anyways man thats what i would be doing but its up to you..... mmmmm vy ss *drool*

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
For me... about the $12,000 mark I think (Red book have it for about 19-22g) from what I've seen though, redbook are VERY conservative with their pricing. It has 101,4XX ks on it.
It's a "Company" car and the lease runs out in March, so either we pay out whats left and sell it for what other SS's are going for, or I get it at the pay out price. (Sorry, if I don't get it at that price, we will be selling it for what it's really worth :p)

If I don't end up getting it, It'll be in the 'cars for sale section' around mid march :)()

My dad is getting himself a toyota aurion or ve calais.

I like the idea of getting a bomb to use for a couple years. I mean... I doubt they'll be that cheap in two years... Its hard to find a VT for that much

If its a company leased or salary sacrificed car, wouldn't you need to pay the residual on the vehicle (unless its a full buyout lease)?

If so, I think you'll find the the residual would be around at least 16-17k, unless your dad plans to foot the rest of the bill for you.

If you can get it for 12k, go for it I say.... Worst case, you go broke, and you'll be able to sell it for at least 19k-20k, so you still make a profit.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Berlina Wagon
Why not pay it out to your dad? Then sell it, making a nice profit, buy a banger and invest the rest for next couple years til you can have a high powered car?