Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy a used 2001 VX for?

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
HI All,

I'm looking to to buying my first commodore... (First car). I was looking at prices but I keep wondering what is the going price for a commodore?

More specifically a 2001 Commodore Wagon VX, it is Automatic, has air-con, cruise control (do all commodores have cruise control), Yes it has a roadworthy cert and it has 243171 KM on it. Since this is my first car what should I look out for and I might look for something newer or stay in this date range I'll know in a few months. Also what makes a car road worthy. I have so many questions but I'll stick with this one first.

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Hey mate, you can usually find a pretty solid Commodore for around $2000 - 3000, it really depends on the model/year etc, since this is your first car, a VT - VX should serve you really well if the person you're buying it from has taken care of it, that's pretty much what make's a car road worthy too, my main suggestion when looking for cars in general and you may already know, but it's to check how many K's the car has done before considering it, it may sound simple, but it can save you a lota money and heartache.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
A good one with a service history and under 200,000 klms is around the $5000 mark.
What ever you buy make sure it has a service history.

R

Risky

I'd look at a Berlina wagon as it has more electronic goodies than the standard car. Chances are it's been less thrashed.

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
Alright, so I keep finding VX's on gumtree for around $1,500-$3,000. Some look dodgy. My friend tells me that I should go though a dealer. How do I know that their not dodgy? I could probably take the car for a spin and get a feel if it is dodgy or not. I think I'm going to look for a used car inspection sheet on the internet to help me with my selection. First do the inspection on a car I know will pass (or should) then go to the and inspect the used commodore.:spot on:

Any other suggestions will help.

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
Yes... I'll look in to a Berlina wagon. But all the photos of goole show what looks like a commodore...?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Just picked up a 2000 VX calais for the missus for 500$ :) To be fair it was through a mate of my son's who just wanted it gone from were it was sitting for 18mths...
Anyways check the service history,have a look at radiator cap for oil and the oil dip stick for water/oil condition(also oil filler cap) if auto pull the auto trans dip stick out and have a look and smell,fluid should look pinkish red and shouldnt smell burnt. Take it for a test drive, try to hear it start up when dead cold as this is when they make the most noise..a slight rattle for the first 45 sec to 1 1/2min is fine on a 200 +k engine..see if the trans isnt slipping etc etc.... when you get back let it idle for a while then blip the throttle shouldn't be any smoke....The old saying "The seller will be as blind as a bat and the buyer must have a thousand eyes" is as true today as it was when first muttered at a used camel lot hundreds of years ago :D

R

Risky

Yes... I'll look in to a Berlina wagon. But all the photos of goole show what looks like a commodore...?

Sheesh mate it took me no more that 2secs on google images to find a Berlina wagon. Google the specs between the base model & Berlina & you'll see what you get. The Berlina has a different front bumper & headlights to the base model.
Holden-VX-Commodore-Berlina-2000-2001-10.jpg

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
Okay, when I look at them side by side I can see the difference.

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
Wow that is a deal... $500 :) I'll make notes so I know what to look for when I'm looking at the car.