Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy? SS-V, SS-V Redline OR Maloo? All brand new

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Up to you, I think you are paying mostly for sex appeal. I don't know that the Maloos have a much better gearbox or drivetrain. The engine of a standard SS would put out the similar power to a maloo with a tune and exhaust ($3700ish from walkinshaw and you keep your warranty), or put in an OTR and you will put out more power than a maloo.

I would say go for the maloo if you want to keep your car stock, if you want to modify I would go for the SS and spend the 25k on stuff (maybe a supercharger kit for $17k from walky, and you keep your 3 year warranty :p). That is, of course, if you can resist that Maloo bodywork & look. I bet it sucks you in.

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 accord euro, 94 civic vtec turbo
Ahh man! Everytime I think I've made my mind up, then I get confused again! Haha some of you think the Maloo is worth the extra 20 odd thousand and alot don't... Tbh I think the Maloo looks a little too hectic, I like that the SS looks quite conservative. I don't know if I'm a massive fan of the maloo's bonnet scoops, led front lights and side guard scoops. I really just wanted the Maloo for brakes, sussy, bigger motor, guages and track computer etc and I think for the wank factor of saying I have a Maloo haha I want which one will be more reliable. I like that there are less maloo's about, means they will keep value a little better? Insurance would be more on a Maloo but then if I got an SS I'd modify it more thus making that insurance higher? I need to get opinions from people who own both. To see what owners of the cars think... Anyone own a Maloo here?

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I agree dude. If I were to get a Maloo I think I'd color code all those bonnet scoops to make them blend in a little more lol I deffnatly think I need to drive both of the cars and see which feels better. I think I'm just paranoid which ever car I choose, I'm scared I'll wish I got the other hahah

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
if you can afford the maloo go the maloo! there are a shitload of ss's out there, so you will just look like everyone else :p

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Ahh man! Everytime I think I've made my mind up, then I get confused again! Haha some of you think the Maloo is worth the extra 20 odd thousand and alot don't... Tbh I think the Maloo looks a little too hectic, I like that the SS looks quite conservative. I don't know if I'm a massive fan of the maloo's bonnet scoops, led front lights and side guard scoops. I really just wanted the Maloo for brakes, sussy, bigger motor, guages and track computer etc and I think for the wank factor of saying I have a Maloo haha I want which one will be more reliable. I like that there are less maloo's about, means they will keep value a little better? Insurance would be more on a Maloo but then if I got an SS I'd modify it more thus making that insurance higher? I need to get opinions from people who own both. To see what owners of the cars think... Anyone own a Maloo here?

I would say go for the maloo if you want to keep your car stock, if you want to modify I would go for the SS and spend the 25k on stuff. This is because if you modify either you will void the warranty, and I think you could get more out of the SS for the 25k difference.

Some people also say the L98 engine which comes with the manual SS is better for modification than the maloo engine? (I could be COMPLETELY wrong here)

A tune and an OTR / exhaust on an SS will give it more power than a maloo. Maloo is 317kw standard, I have seen 280rwkw+ on tuned/exhaust/otr SS's and that is like 350kw PLUS at the flywheel (depending on how u estimate losses, I'm assuming 20% there which is probably less than actual losses).

Mate these are not decisions that should be rushed into either..... Maloo comes with better seats and other stuff. I would make a punchlist of all the feature differences between a maloo and an SS to help u decide. Ask a dealer and don't accept soem bullshit like 'it's just a more advanced car overall'. Also consider stuff you may replace on the maloo if you bought it. Would you replace the breaks? Cross it off your list of advantages the maloo gives over an SS.

By the way, have you considered the supercharged ford sedan? Or just not interested in Fords/sedans? *runs*

SUS.SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SERIES II WAGON
to be honest the new fpv gs ute is from factory v8 supercharged 50k drive away, just saying im a holden fan by all means

VTi_b0i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeahh those fords just don't do it for me really, the interior just looks a little cheap, and for some reason the dash always just makes me think of a taxi haha
Seriously thanks so much to all of you that have taken the time to reply in here, I really appreciate it!
I do feel if I bought the SS, I would go nuts on mods, and say if I spent the difference of roughly 20k on an SS I still wouldn't be able to sell it for the same amount as a Maloo? As I said earlier, all I'd be looking to do with a Maloo is intake, exhaust, tune, wheels and possibly coilovers. I could have all of those still under warranty? Not sure bout coilovers tho