Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I wouldn't touch a Tesla with their widespread reputation for very poor build quality and after sales disservice.
Kia EV6 GT with 430 kw's and 740nm could be interesting with reports its adjustable suspension is more comfortable than a regular EV6.
N.Z. Autocar has an interesting write-up on the BMW I4 M50 this month wherein they compare its merits to the BMW M5 and basically say its a better car for $60K less. O-100 in 3.55 seconds as tested was significantly better than BMW's claim of 3.8 seconds.
Real world rolling performance 80-120 of just 2.1 seconds is faster than the BMW M5 and far more comfortable to boot. Lot of car for $134K.
Definitely on my radar but I'm in no hurry as I'm still enjoying my Calais V which has only done 42,000 km's.
OMG - this is scary, should I see a doctor lol. Is this actually a good looking new Prius ? https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/othe...pc=U531&cvid=2dda50ed32524634bcda9b8fd4360ea0

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I wouldn't touch a Tesla with their widespread reputation for very poor build quality and after sales disservice.
Kia EV6 GT with 430 kw's and 740nm could be interesting with reports its adjustable suspension is more comfortable than a regular EV6.
N.Z. Autocar has an interesting write-up on the BMW I4 M50 this month wherein they compare its merits to the BMW M5 and basically say its a better car for $60K less. O-100 in 3.55 seconds as tested was significantly better than BMW's claim of 3.8 seconds.
Real world rolling performance 80-120 of just 2.1 seconds is faster than the BMW M5 and far more comfortable to boot. Lot of car for $134K.
Definitely on my radar but I'm in no hurry as I'm still enjoying my Calais V which has only done 42,000 km's.

The whole thing about car manufacturers like BMW moving to features as a service in their vehicles is worrying too. Not sure I want to look at owning Euro's if they go down this road. Something about paying 6 figures up front only to be extorted monthly fees to use features I've already paid for feels like a ripoff to me.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So what should I be swapping my zb calais v tourer for?

There is so much choice currently, with so few realistic choices available, I am happy that I do not need a new car.

The current market is so fractured with new manufacturers with dubious heritage offering EVs, PHEVs and tiny turbo'd ICEs that are stressed out of their specifications, that is sure to confuse the current buyer.
200Kw from a 3 cyl 1.6L Toyota Yaris ........... I'll bet that it does not last as long as a 200Kw 5.0L Holden.

It seems to be getting to the point where you have to decide what you need your new car to do.
Quick trips of long distance = ICE.
City commuting = EV, provided you have at home charging.
Undecided = PHEV, and pay the premium that could take up to 200Km to recover the reduced petrol costs.
Hydrogen power = in ya dreams, Toyota.
For passengers need = how big or small ?
SUV or sedan or soot blowing 4WD dual cab, just in case you might go 'out back'.

The next few years, (if the planet lasts that long .... thanks Mr. Putin) are going to confusing and interesting.
Established brands will withdraw from Australia, and start-ups will come in a blaze of publicity, and go when price and servicing don't match the hype.
Unsuspecting public sheeple opinion (brainwashed or greenwashed) will play a big part in what you will be able to buy. Manufacturers have a habit of telling you what you want, by restricting what you would like or need.
Sir needs an 8 seat EV SUV that weighs 2.5 tonnes, with 600Kw and can accelerate to 100kmh in 3 secs, only $99,990 ......... says the online robot that takes your online order.

If your ZB ain't broke, stay with it for a few more years. Your replacement decision now is most likely to be the wrong choice.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
The whole thing about car manufacturers like BMW moving to features as a service in their vehicles is worrying too. Not sure I want to look at owning Euro's if they go down this road. Something about paying 6 figures up front only to be extorted monthly fees to use features I've already paid for feels like a ripoff to me.

No question subscription services break new ground mate and on the face of it are objectionable and a complete ripoff...unless the up front cost has the base spec of the car correctly priced in and maybe in the BMW I4 M50's case at $135K or thereabouts it does ?
The case Autocar N.Z. made was that here we have a BMW M5 for about $60,000 less and much cheaper running costs to boot.
I hear the forthcoming Kia EV6 GT with 430 Kw's and 740 nm's which will have similar performance is rumored to be $139,995 Kiwi, about $5K more than the BMW and without the heritage of the handling that comes with the Euro.

If your ZB ain't broke, stay with it for a few more years. Your replacement decision now is most likely to be the wrong choice figjam.
I think you make an excellent point ! The speed of change in the EV sector is such that today's apparent "Gee whizz" that I'm talking about in this post is yesterday's technology very quickly indeed!

Ripley

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice Royale
If your ZB ain't broke, stay with it for a few more years. Your replacement decision now is most likely to be the wrong choice.
Your ZB had decades of incremental improvements and sorting out. All the EV stuff has had decades less.
You'll also be able to get all the important replacement ZB parts for decades. Buying new will not be cost effective.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
After a near 6 month wait, I finally collect my Tesla Model 3 RWD on the 2nd of May. Happy to share experiences and answer questions after arrival if anyone is interested.