Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to check when buying higher km LFX

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I’m look at a higher km Calais V with the LFX on Wednesday.

Has 216,000 kms but apparently has service history and was a country car with lots of highway kms. Revs check confirms initial registration to be country.

What should I be looking at specifically in a car with this many kms?

I will listen for abnormal upper engine noise, check oil color, look for visible leaks etc and obviously test drive it thoroughly to see how engine and trans perform, however what should I specifically look at in the LFX platform in a 2013 Calais?

I have read the timing chain issue was mostly resolved by this period, and regular servicing is important here.

Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Check if the shocks have been replaced and if there's any any bad sounds while driving.
But generally a good car stands out from a bad one from at least 15 places away, not to mention by the condition of the interior. Good luck.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Has 216,000 kms
That's 3/4 stuffed and my advice, is to pay a bit extra for a lower km car unless that particular car is under 10k, then you might consider a cheapy.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's 3/4 stuffed and my advice, is to pay a bit extra for a lower km car unless that particular car is under 10k, then you might consider a cheapy.
It’s $13k and other comparable cars are 19-21k

It’s a country car. The writing on the cruise control button is almost worn off.

Overall condition cosmetically look far far better than the kms would indicate

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It’s $13k and other comparable cars are 19-21k
Most of them are private sellers dreaming. Low price is the only thing attractive about a 200,000km car. I'd offer the seller $9500 seriously!

It's a bit early to snap a bargain yet with so many sellers still high pricing junk that isn't selling.

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most of them are private sellers dreaming. Low price is the only thing attractive about a 200,000km car. I'd offer the seller $9500 seriously!

It's a bit early to snap a bargain yet with so many sellers still high pricing junk that isn't selling.
Not in NSW.

I have been watching Calais Vs on both carsales and Facebook and as soon as they hit the 12-13 range they sell within a day. All have circa 200,000kms

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Not in NSW.

I have been watching Calais Vs on both carsales and Facebook and as soon as they hit the 12-13 range they sell within a day. All have circa 200,000kms
I'm talking about the one's at 19 to 21k you mentioned, they're dreamers guaranteed!

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Price of fuel is driving up 4 cylinder small car market. There are still lots of idiots trying to flog 2013 cars with supposedly low kms (150,000-170,000) for +$15,000. Needless to say, they're not getting last year's prices for them.
Look for the obvious first - no black smoke, good throttle response. If power builds gradually rather than instantly, there's a good chance compression is low. Rev the engine & listen for ticking & how quickly idle returns to normal. Transmission oil is extremely important. If it's black & smells burnt, run don't walk. Gear changes should be smooth, not late, thumping or clangy.
On old cars like my VS you could remove the oil cap & see how dark the lifters are. Obviously if they're black there's a good chance the car has been running hot, or cheap engine oil was used.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Price of fuel is driving up 4 cylinder small car market. There are still lots of idiots trying to flog 2013 cars with supposedly low kms (150,000-170,000) for +$15,000. Needless to say, they're not getting last year's prices for them.
Look for the obvious first - no black smoke, good throttle response. If power builds gradually rather than instantly, there's a good chance compression is low. Rev the engine & listen for ticking & how quickly idle returns to normal. Transmission oil is extremely important. If it's black & smells burnt, run don't walk. Gear changes should be smooth, not late, thumping or clangy.
On old cars like my VS you could remove the oil cap & see how dark the lifters are. Obviously if they're black there's a good chance the car has been running hot, or cheap engine oil was used.
Can’t easily check the colour of the trans fluid on a vf they don‘t have a dipstick and that’s the rockers you can see when you take off the oil cap, lifters are down in the valley of the engine