Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do after battery is removed

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the a/c bit is only for vl, reset the iac by holding the revs over 2000 for 10 seconds or so, thats all

Rob

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
lol oh so i dont have to put my aircon on and off in 6.5 second intervals and turn my radio up and down in 4 minute intevals whilst changing my seat position to reset my ecu to run ultimate performance mode?

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
When I had jumping idle speed problems, the advice I was given from a seperate thread here, was to warm the engine, undo the battery, or the fuse for the ecu, for about a minute or so, start the car, straight to 2000 rpm for 10 or 30 seconds, ( I forget which it was), and lo and behold, my idle speed has been perfect ever since. that was over a year ago now.

I don't believe you have to do anything else (apart from stock radio codes) when removing the battery. It would be bullshit and a big backlash at Holden if you did.
The ecu should have it's own (excuse the incorrect computer jargon here) permanently written info in the electronic side of things. And it stores it there for good.
If you pull the plug on a home computer, it won't lose any info, even if you take the little motherboard battery out, or if it does, it knows how to reset everything. Same with a car.

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
ohh yeh and to what aa23 said about the motherboard battery...YES you will lose data (time and date) if you remove the battery on a motherboard!!! also i dont belive that the computer in the commo's are volatile......dumb ass holden if they are!!!

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
ducatis said:
ohh yeh and to what aa23 said about the motherboard battery...YES you will lose data (time and date) if you remove the battery on a motherboard!!! also i dont belive that the computer in the commo's are volatile......dumb ass holden if they are!!!
I know you lose time and date on a motherboard, but i was using that as an example to explain the car system.

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
ok...so you mean that hard disks dont lose information? or maybe bios? yeh but CMOS loses info with no power because its volatile!

K

Konker

hako said:
Konker - people are interested in how these things work so don't think your comments are not appreciated. I think you'll find that the ECU is constantly updating and relearning its parameters. What happens when you turn the ignition off? - if there is then no power to the ECU then this would be the same as disconnecting the battery.

well done. it is relearning all the time. so why not teach it basics before you get it to run you all round town. if people are gonna take the piss from everybody else then what is the point of these threads? anyway that was negative (batteries lol) sorry guys. so next question how long is your longest blackie?.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
ducatis said:
ohh yeh and i forgot to mention....your computer wont recognise your engine since the power has been removed becuase its volatile ( :w00t: ) yeh so you have so jump start your car about 12 times to make sure your engine will be reconfigured properly...and if your car doesnt start after that youve probly blown a fuse so you have to plug your microphone into your computer and tell it you have to change a fuse otherwise it will zap you..a good 100000volts or so...oh and if for any reason your battery goes flat while you are in the process of reconfiguring it...you have to start over again so your computer will recognise the new battery..oh yeh and you have to do some more blackies!!!!! yeh and when you replace your battery for the second time you have to blast your cd player on full ball until it runs out again then charge it back up and continue doing this for about 3 days!!!

hahahahaha lmao!!

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
hmmmm....interesting.
No worries.
It doesn't tell you how to replace the timing chain either.
I have an idea, if you don't know don't say.

As far as who has more?
I maintain / take care of / get involved in / have some sort of involvement with over 1500.

If you blokes don't want the best of what you can....why bother being here? :cops:

A

AJH83

Disconnect the fusable link marked engine from under the bonnet for 10 seconds... big square lookin thing... oh and for anyone worried about loosing there pin.. for like $10 u can go to an auto parts shop and buy a thing that clips onto the Positive and Ground of the car with a 9V Battery.. this will keep your settings for about 30 mins