Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to use to clean & condition the leather steering wheel

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I usually was my ute once a week, and normally on the same day I do all the interior with the specific Bowdens gear and throw away car wipes and vac too. Run out of time last night for the inside so probably Tues night the interior will be done.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I usually was my ute once a week, and normally on the same day I do all the interior with the specific Bowdens gear and throw away car wipes and vac too. Run out of time last night for the inside so probably Tues night the interior will be done.
Why do you throw away the vac?:)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
With so many products available to buy, there's no reason why a steering wheel or an entire car for that matter cannot look like it did from the showroom floor even after 20 years of daily driving. If you're genuinely passionate and not lazy, and park in the right spots it's possible.
I'm lazy, haven't washed the car since March or April?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I'm lazy, haven't washed the car since March or April?
About the same for me. I washed it yesterday on Fathers Day as a treat for my wife as it’s her car and she doesn’t wash it.
I apologised to her for leaving it for so long before washing it and that I wouldn’t allow myself to be so slack in the future and that I realised cleaning her car was so much more important than cleaning out the gutters and the vacuuming and dishwashing along with the shopping and the gardening, and the.............yes dear won’t be a moment.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
OK, don't gag. :p
I have Supercheap "SCA Steering Wheel Cover - Silicone, Black, 380mm Diameter' on my cars.
Gave up cleaning, conditioning, boot polishing the leather, and being alarmed by the sunburn on top, and shiny wear appearing at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.
I got used to the look and feel. And only car nuts ........... like on this forum ................ would notice the desecration.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
OK, don't gag. :p
I have Supercheap "SCA Steering Wheel Cover - Silicone, Black, 380mm Diameter' on my cars.
Gave up cleaning, conditioning, boot polishing the leather, and being alarmed by the sunburn on top, and shiny wear appearing at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions ...
That's called a patina ... and it's coveted by some :p

To me a patina is just a smutz on things that makes them look old :p:rolleyes:
I got used to the look and feel. And only car nuts ........... like on this forum ................ would notice the desecration.
It's not desecration, which made me laugh, it's just personal fission choice, sort of like mud flaps.

It's your car after all and if you want a pristine wheel no one will ever see because its covered, all the best to ya...
I'm sure the next owner would appreciate the fact the original steering wheel survived so well :p

Last edited:

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Not calling anyone lazy, but being passionate and not lazy work together as a combo. If you're lazy but passionate the car will eventually look it's age. If you're not passionate and not lazy, the car will also look its age.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
When I suffer friction polishing I use lube.

Reminds me of the joke about a woman who rang a Talkback Radio Station complaining about her husband smoking after sex. After some discussion it was attributed to" To much friction".

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It's your car after all and if you want a pristine wheel no one will ever see because its covered, all the best to ya...
I'm sure the next owner would appreciate the fact the original steering wheel survived so well :p
Well, it is not as if I am keeping my girlfriend a virgin for the next bloke ( bit old for that :( ) but I am making sure that she is wearing a bra, so the next bloke doesn't have to look around the level of her navel.

I know what worn leather steering wheels look like ( crap ) and the cost of getting them refurbished ( $$$ ).
Sort of like paying for girlfriend's plastic surgery, after she has given you the big A.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man