Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What will be the next car brand to leave Australia?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I wish that was true, they are far from being Aussie they serve their masters the world elites and like the good puppets they are say yes to them all the time, section 44 of our constitution is always out trumped by foreign power and wealth, they get away with murder, just look at the dual citizen saggar they should of being charged with treason and served prison sentence. Don't think their kindergarten is for us its far from it.
Have a look at the past 20 years they more focused on themselves passing the 6 figure pension retirement fund around among themselves, we had more PM in 20 years than the whole 20th century they are a burden to us, you have Jo Hockey in the US getting around 80k a year pension on top of his 500k salary, do I have to mention Turnover the corrupt banker millionaire who is one of the world elites who ripping off our taxes after destroying Australia. Canberra house is not Australian..
Gees, Trev, it was meant as a joke, not an introduction to a political rant.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Do we have anything left that's owned by Australia?
We have some excellent parts makers but that's about it. I think we all need to understand...NO HEAVY INDUSTRY is in Australian hands anymore.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Geographical isolation let aussie (and NZ) have it's own automotive manufacturing in the past as it was easier than shipping cars, now it is the opposite. With the likes of this new Coronavirus, geographical isolation may just be a good thing and in the long term lead to more sustainable industries depending on how things play out in the near future...

The reality is, there was no need to GM to kill of Holden because they could have operated like every other brand in the market except for the fact that GM has sucked every bit of goodwill/value from Holden. The Aussie government needs to do all it can to take the brand back from GM as some time in the future someone may be able to revive it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The Aussie government needs to do all it can to take the brand back from GM as some time in the future someone may be able to revive it.

Couldn't agree more. Our Governments have been and continue to be spineless against foreign companies.

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
The issue Holden had was they had to sell the crappy GM cars that nobody wanted, especially after the GFC. Craptivas, Malipoos, Barinah, Equinox, trax.... these are all crap cars.

Does not help slapping a chevy badge on a Commodore and selling it overseas. People just pile the Chevy SS into garbage heap the aforementioned cars are in.

GM are just known to sell crap cars. Sure they have some ok cars. Colorado is a jack of all trades master of nothing sorta deal. The fact is they had premium Australian engineering and manufacturing but they squandered it to save a few bucks. If they had invested the Aussie tax dollars into Holden like they should have they could have made Holden the centre of their operations instead of outsourcing engineering to somewhere like south Korea where the Craptiva and Cruze were designed. The 1 billion dollar should have been the platform for the majority of GM cars, not ******* Korea, or even the USA. Instead we got crap and GM cars are all crap.

The next brand to leave australia will be whatever shell company GM sets up, GMSV or whatever. I doubt the greedy dickheads in Detroit will be happy with the few sales they make.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I've been saying for years that GM's portfolio of cars are nothing but Shiteboxes and Aussie's are a tad smarter when it comes to car buying. Honestly I can't see Ford really surviving here either as most of the stuff they are bringing in is nothing but unreliable crap and made along the same lines as Holden's ring ins that we've endured over the past few years.

Last edited:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I've been saying for years that GM's portfolio of cars are nothing but Shiteboxes and Aussie's are a tad smarter when it comes to car buying. Honestly I can't see Ford really surviving here either as most of the stuff they are bringing in is nothing but unreliable crap and made along the same lines as Holden's ring ins that we've endured over the past few years.

I reckon you're right about Ford, if you took away Ranger sales they would be in a worse position than Holden. Pretty much everything else in their range is completely irrelevant and struggles to sell, including newly launched product such as Focus which for a brand new platform is only doing a couple of hundred of units a month if that.
They are launching the Ford Puma here, with of all things, a dual clutch transmission! One would have thought they would have learnt after the huge debacle with the ACCC and burning so many customers, but no, they are coming back for more!
It is a miracle that Ranger sells as many as it does considering what an unreliable shitheap it is. I have heard so many horror stories about engines and transmissions going bang, electrical faults etc etc that it really makes me wonder why are people buying these things in such numbers..

Ford in the US aren't in the best position financially and like GM have a knack for being short sighted and making idiotic decisions, so once the next global recession hits I doubt they will have any qualms in giving Australia the flick.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Another company I wouldn't care to see disappear is Nissan. Ever since their merger with Renault their product range has been woefully mediocre and at least 5-10 years behind the competition.
They sell nothing even remotely interesting, just a collection of ugly, underpowered suv's with horrible cvt transmissions.
It seems that sales to rental fleets is the only thing keeping them afloat here.

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
Mitsubishi have also become part of that nissan Renault crapshow back in 2016. In the next few years we might see mitsubishi cars become even worse. Surely the triton is the only thing keeping them afloat at this stage.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Ford fans are blowing their trumpets about the Ranger, and how it was developed here, and how Ford still have a design studio here.
I could be wrong, but the next Ranger is not being developed here, it will be a VW/Ford co-product.
So what do Ford actually do now in Australia with all their HQ staff.