Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What wires to use for a kill switch?

Luke6905

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
VX Equipe

I've been messing around with my car lately and I would like to put a kill switch on the ignition. The only thing is the videos I've seen for this the engine still cranks when the switch is on. What wire do I put the switch on so that the car wont even crank?

Any pictures would be great.

And also can you still use the accessories while the switch is on? (on being when the car wont start)

Thanks for any help :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Pop bonnet, take start relay, put it in your pocket.
Same as the old school method of taking the rotor button for a walk with you.

It's a v6 commodore, no ones going to spend more that a few minutes trying to take it off your hands, kill switches although being novel there isn't to many places to hide them, unless you are really original and put it somewhere really special that will be a pain in the arse even for you to access, a seasoned thief is going to find it (especially if they've been scoping your car out and watching what you do when entering/leaving the car).

An aftermarket immobiliser and hide the wiring away from the ignition switch (bury it deep in the dash out of sight) once and do it properly.

Even simpler, make sure it's insured so you can actually replace it if it gets knocked off

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you could wire a simple switch in series with the auto inhibit wiring
basically so the car thinks its not in park/neutral

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There should be a relay wire that goes to the starter motor. You can chuck a switch on that wire, but injectors will still go meaning it can be push started.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Get a double pole single throw switch (basically 2 switches in one) Wire one side up inline with the park/neutral switch, and for the other side of the switch find the fuel pump wire in the kick panel and and cut that. Most people know how to bridge a start relay so having a backup being the fuel pump wiring will be better. Car will run for a bit then cut out.