Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats more accurate

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
So much incorrect information and guesses in this thread it’s laughable.
Please enlighten us with your version that is correct

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Please enlighten us with your version that is correct
Well... all you need to know is that the speed limit is the limit, not 1k over not 3k over but as signs state, so you will be fine if you travel below the limit which is the point of a speed limit. It is not the point to see how close on or how far over you can be. Also as I said earlier, GPS is fine. And that’s all that you can be enlightened of.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
The question of the thread is "which is more accurate " not "how much can I speed by " .

The speed camera trigger is just a side note to the thread title as of course nobody wants to get done for speeding .

Now I came up with a formula to conclude that my speedo now is as accurate as GPS or viceversa and I do not speed , I dial in 110 on the highway maybe 111 if I feel like living dangerously .

Today I had the experience of driving my mothers old 98 mitzy lancer the speedo read 115 + to keep up with the traffic in the middle lane that normally I am passing at 110 in my car , if I sat on 110 I was getting passed by semi's and old people with hats on

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
The question of the thread is "which is more accurate " not "how much can I speed by " .

The speed camera trigger is just a side note to the thread title as of course nobody wants to get done for speeding .

Now I came up with a formula to conclude that my speedo now is as accurate as GPS or viceversa and I do not speed , I dial in 110 on the highway maybe 111 if I feel like living dangerously .

Today I had the experience of driving my mothers old 98 mitzy lancer the speedo read 117 + to keep up with the traffic in the middle lane that normally I am passing at 110 in my car , if I sat on 110 I was getting passed by semi's and old people with hats on

From the more recent cars I've had, wife drove an 06 Lancer wagon until about 4 years ago traded it on an 08 Forester, I also had a 2012 Fiesta for work commute and all 3 of these cars would have to be pretty close to the maximum allowed 10% error (with their speedos reading near 10% more than actual speed). Before we bought the Subaru I was thinking both the Lancer and Fiesta inaccuracies were largely due to the price point of these cars. While I bought it used, I was expecting the Subaru would have been more accurate given the price when new would be I guess say $10,000 more than the Lancer and well over double the cost of the Fiesta. On the other hand my 2000 VX Clubby and 2009 VE SS read pretty close to Sat Nav, I'd say only a few percent error. So the answer to the thread question is Sat Nav is more accurate - but in the case of a Commodore (new or old) the error isn't much at all.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
And how many times have I said GPS in this thread...

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Apart from speed cameras another issue you have to contend with now is all these wannabe coppers with dash cams. The NSW cops are now encouraging these dash cam vigilantes to send in footage if they record anything untoward. I'm not sure how they'd be able to determine speed through dash cam footage.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well... all you need to know is that the speed limit is the limit, not 1k over not 3k over but as signs state, so you will be fine if you travel below the limit which is the point of a speed limit. It is not the point to see how close on or how far over you can be. Also as I said earlier, GPS is fine. And that’s all that you can be enlightened of.
Thanks for your useful input, Harold Scruby!
Can you please tell me off for a bunch of other very naughty things I have done today? If I deserve a spanking, I’m at least entitled to know it!

The root of a lot of Australia’s problems these days; people tut-tutting & looking for ways to be offended about what others are doing ...

Last edited:

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Pretty accurate and sound advise I’d argue. Solves all problems. Thank me later.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
As already stated, GPS is more accurate. By design (ADR speedo requirements).
I usually travel to Sydney on the Hume with cruise set between 115 and 118. I drive past stationary HWP's regularly at those speeds. Not so much as a head turn. Never been booked. Naughty? Maybe, but I'd argue it's completely safe and the boys in blue don't seem to care.