Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats more accurate

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
on the Hume with cruise set between 115 and 118. I drive past stationary HWP's regularly at those speeds. Not so much as a head turn. Never been booked. Naughty? Maybe, but I'd argue it's completely safe and the boys in blue don't seem to care.

Last time back from Canberra I was doing my usual 10+ over the recommended speed and flew past a HP parked halfway down a hill near near Marulan.

I didn't even bother to slow down as I've been booked often enough to know when they've got me.

Cop gestured to me to "slow down" and that was that.

As a side note, I had a general duties cop through work recently and she was saying that they were catching speeders on the prev long weekend.

I asked her how was business and she said not too bad but they had the gun set at 121kph (110 zone).

I asked if that was usual and she said it was for them, lol.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well 6 and a half weeks and still no ticket. GOOD!! Hope it stays that way for doing 1k over the limit (According to the GPS it showed 61, Car showed 63 on a 60 Zone)

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Thought I'd plonk this in here...

On our recent trip away I took along our "old" (2015) Tom Tom as I wasn't convinced Mylink was going to be as accurate as I might like (speed zones, etc).

Anyhoo, updated TT the night before we left and used both (TT and Mylink) at the same time.

Interestingly enough re speed zones, TT was right most of the time but Mylink on occasion was more accurate. Perhaps the zones had been changed and then changed back?

What I didn't know and found very helpful was that TT gave my average speed, over the average camera zone, about a km from the end of the average speed camera zone.

I know that atm it's only trucks in NSW that are targeted with average speed cameras but didn't know about Vic, SA or NT (not to mention the fact I didn't know where they were situated).

I didn't really notice it until I was nearing the end of the Port Pirie average speed camera when for whatever reason I looked at the TT and there it was on the sidebar "Ave speed 111" with a graphic of the camera distance.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think all of Australia has average speed cameras....The gov't is cracking down (has been for a while) on trucks going over speed limits for distances and also driving over their allotted time frames per stint....It also doubles to catch motorists unawares as well for speeding

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Canberra has a couple of average speed cameras set up for cars. It annoys me as one of the legs is a long down hill run so everyone is just riding the brakes all the way.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm not aware of any NSW average speed cameras that target cars, but I've not ventured north out of Sydney by car for a few years now & last time I went to Bathurst the one west of the Blue Mountains (I think it's just west of Lithgow?) was a trial they were using on trucks but it was inferred was going to be used as a car-driver raping cash-cow eventually.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I'm not aware of any NSW average speed cameras that target cars, but I've not ventured north out of Sydney by car for a few years now & last time I went to Bathurst the one west of the Blue Mountains (I think it's just west of Lithgow?) was a trial they were using on trucks but it was inferred was going to be used as a car-driver raping cash-cow eventually.

Yeah, I was sailing along at + whatever somewhere between Dubbo and West Wyalong when I happened upon an average speed camera zone and while Iknew they used to only target trucks I got my wife to check on her phone.

Still the case in NSW but everywhere else, cars as well.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Yeah, I was sailing along at + whatever somewhere between Dubbo and West Wyalong when I happened upon an average speed camera zone and while Iknew they used to only target trucks I got my wife to check on her phone.

Still the case in NSW but everywhere else, cars as well.
There's one along from Scone into Muswellbrook, not only for trucks....I think cars are targeted too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Average speed cameras target both cars and trucks.....The cars mainly for the speed and trucks for time travelled inbetween breaks....Yes, in the case of them being in a lower than 100 KPH speed limit, they might get pinged for speeding, but the majority of the time, those point to point cameras are in 100 + zones and the majority of trucks can't do over that speed anyways....And I did say the majority..