Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the ZB commodore like any issues? What do the owners of ZB think? Pointless thread ruined by one user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I was looking at the ZB because it was newer and had most of the extras but with that came the stop at the lights to save fuel button, dull head lights that is a pain,

I've found the engine auto stop doesn't come on all that much, it must be the way I drive. ;)
The LED matrix headlights that the Calais-V and VXR get are anything but dull. I'm not trying to change your mind, just providing corrections.

What I will try to change your mind on is, don't buy a Stinger. It'll only disappoint you.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I've found the engine auto stop doesn't come on all that much, it must be the way I drive. ;)

i noticed that too when i first got mine, when my wife was driving it would come on all the time but when i was driving it almost never came on.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I was looking at the ZB because it was newer and had most of the extras but with that came the stop at the lights to save fuel button, dull head lights that is a pain, multiple issues and a bonnet that jumps up at the back near the windscreen when you hit something head on.

I think you're trying to pick the flyshit out of the pepper.

Pretty well all new cars have the auto stop/start. At least on the Commodore you can turn it off.

Despite what some people say the standard headlights are OK. Sure they could be better, most cars could be, but they're not that bad they're a deal breaker.

The bonnet that jumps up when you hit a pedestrian is part of the 5 star safety rating. It's really no different to any of the airbag systems on cars these days. All moden cars have "features" like this.

I'm not sure about the multiple issues you're thinking of. All cars have issues, some are the result of personal preference, some design or build faults. There is one issue I've read on some US sites about the Stinger catching fire.

What I'm trying to say is you will never find the "perfect" car. There will be a compromise somewhere. You wil trade one set of dislikes for another set of dislikes. I think these things are side issues to choosing a new car.

The only valid point you made was dealer support and even then I don't think that will be too bad,.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
The LED matrix headlights that the Calais-V and VXR get are anything but dull. I'm not trying to change your mind, just providing corrections.

What I will try to change your mind on is, don't buy a Stinger. It'll only disappoint you.
Thanks mate I just said a stinger as something other then a Holden they want to much for a stinger a Toyota would be better. The standard LT model in the ZB has **** lights that need to be changed I have read about multiple issues with the gear box and when I watched a video on on the ZB the gear box couldn't make up its mind what gear it wanted, it actually didn't work correctly at speed.
Thanks for your feed back.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive

Pretty well all new cars have the auto stop/start. At least on the Commodore you can turn it off.

Despite what some people say the standard headlights are OK. Sure they could be better, most cars could be, but they're not that bad they're a deal breaker.

The bonnet that jumps up when you hit a pedestrian is part of the 5 star safety rating. It's really no different to any of the airbag systems on cars these days. All moden cars have "features" like this.

I'm not sure about the multiple issues you're thinking of. All cars have issues, some are the result of personal preference, some design or build faults. There is one issue I've read on some US sites about the Stinger catching fire.

What I'm trying to say is you will never find the "perfect" car. There will be a compromise somewhere. You wil trade one set of dislikes for another set of dislikes. I think these things are side issues to choosing a new car.

The only valid point you made was dealer support and even then I don't think that will be too bad,.

Thanks for your feed back if you have a look at the net there are a few issues with the gear box and other things in the ZB it seem it's a bit of a hit and miss with the new ZB some seem to be good and others multiple problems. If you look closely the ZB is a Holden Astra from what I can see but the Astra has more extras so that may be an option. The standard ZB does has crap lights my wife has a Mazda 3 good car except for the lights, because of that we decided that we would never get another car with crap lights as it to dangerous to drive at night haven't tried to change them yet as we will change the Mazda soon to a Toyota or another Mazda.
I know that I will never get the perfect car but I want to limit the issues best I can as I said the Mazda has been great apart from the lights. The VF seems ok and I believe it would be a good car but doesn't have the extras I want because Holden wanted to save money. As for the stop start I hate it I pay for the fuel so I don't know why any manufacturer is concerned with it, don't make any sense if they are so concerned they need to build electric cars.
As for the support from Holden there will be none they will be out of the race and no good business man will stay with Holden, Holden or what ever they will be called will need to produce a dam good car next time to even start to recover from their loss If not I believe they will fold completely.
As for the bonnet new cars are sloping in the front so pedestrians end up on the bonnet not under the car this was made law a few years ago, really no need for the bonnet to kick up it will only roll them back to the front. Example I tapped a roo the other day in my VY ute if that happened in a ZB what would happen? maybe the bonnet would pop up I would have to get out push each side back down then drive to a Holden dealer if there is one and have it repaired for god knows how much not needed in my opinion just a waste of time is that just to make 5 stars?
In some diesel ZBs there was an issue of them possibly catching fire too they were recalled in those models i assume it was a similar thing with the stinger if that was the case and they are a much better car by far in many ways. I guess the thing is it now take much time and research to fine a decent car that won't give you to many headaches as they are making them to fast in a factory and to complex.
I'm thinking of just keeping my VY and replacing the motor and drive it for another 10 years. I'm just older now and don't have time or the money to waste on cars I just want something with better safety and minimal on going costs. The best car I ever had was a HJ kingswood with a simple motor.
If I do buy another car I don't think it will be a Holden for many reasons mostly because of the follow up support as it is very uncertain if they will even exsist in 2 years as they have already close the brand down.
If a manufacturer is offering a 7 year warranty that says a lot about their confidence in their build quality you don't offer that for nothing. I'm not trying to rubbish the ZB just not convinced it's the best car for me.
Thanks again for you input cheers.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The Astra is a very different car to the ZB Commodore. The Astra is the equivalent of the Corolla or the Mazda 3.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the headlights, I have a VY S and the headlights on that are better than the ZB but the ZB lights are quite OK for the night driving I do. The VY headlights are also better than the headlights on the VE SV6 Z my wife has and I don't hear compliants about the VE headlights which I'd put on a par with the ZB.

I hear you about the bonnet. My point was it doesn't matter which brand you buy new today you are saddled with similar issues. Just ask Toyota owners about the cost of replacing the Toyota emblem on the grill if it gets damaged. On some models it is part of the frontal sensor system and costs several hundred dollars to replace plus the labour to recalibrate the system.

Keep driving the VY, they're a bloody good car, mine's done over 400,000. It's still great to drive (it's a manual which is part of the reason I kept it) but the ZB with it's 235 Kw normally aspirated V6 is a blast to drive. The V6 engine was one of the prime reasons I bought it.

The VY was giving some little niggles and I needed a car I could rely on to get me 110 km each way to work. The ZB was pretty well the last of the N/A V6 engines available from any manufacturer in a sedan, on this side of the ditch at least. It's a sweet engine that also sounds nice. When you think about it, it is producing a heap more power than a lot of the old 5 litre V8's.

What ever you buy I hope you enjoy driving it and that it gives you good service. Just don't expect it to keep on going and going like the VY.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
The Astra is a very different car to the ZB Commodore. The Astra is the equivalent of the Corolla or the Mazda 3.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the headlights, I have a VY S and the headlights on that are better than the ZB but the ZB lights are quite OK for the night driving I do. The VY headlights are also better than the headlights on the VE SV6 Z my wife has and I don't hear compliants about the VE headlights which I'd put on a par with the ZB.

I hear you about the bonnet. My point was it doesn't matter which brand you buy new today you are saddled with similar issues. Just ask Toyota owners about the cost of replacing the Toyota emblem on the grill if it gets damaged. On some models it is part of the frontal sensor system and costs several hundred dollars to replace plus the labour to recalibrate the system.

Keep driving the VY, they're a bloody good car, mine's done over 400,000. It's still great to drive (it's a manual which is part of the reason I kept it) but the ZB with it's 235 Kw normally aspirated V6 is a blast to drive. The V6 engine was one of the prime reasons I bought it.

The VY was giving some little niggles and I needed a car I could rely on to get me 110 km each way to work. The ZB was pretty well the last of the N/A V6 engines available from any manufacturer in a sedan, on this side of the ditch at least. It's a sweet engine that also sounds nice. When you think about it, it is producing a heap more power than a lot of the old 5 litre V8's.

What ever you buy I hope you enjoy driving it and that it gives you good service. Just don't expect it to keep on going and going like the VY.
Thanks again mate you are right, with the Mazda head lights they are a pain and we both wear glasses so we need good light at night if driving don't know why manufacturers are still using old style lights when we have LEDs. I know you can get better lights to replace the ones in the ZB so that would be something that would have to be done.
I think from all my reading/research I might just keep my VY ute and replace the motor when the time comes. At least I know what I have and it's cost me bugger all to own just rego and service. Still have to update the wife's car that's going to be a pain and not looking forward to that.
Thanks to everyone for all the input. Cheers and a happy new year to all.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I have read about multiple issues with the gear box and when I watched a video on on the ZB the gear box couldn't make up its mind what gear it wanted, it actually didn't work correctly at speed.
Thanks for your feed back.

You won't have read anything about gearbox issues here. Sure sometimes it might need a bit of prompting via the paddle shifters to get into the right gear, but more often than not (especially in VXR mode) it's in the right gear at the right time when you are pushing on. For me at least the 9 speed gearbox is one of the highlights of the ZB range, and this is coming from a hardcore manual guy.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
You won't have read anything about gearbox issues here. Sure sometimes it might need a bit of prompting via the paddle shifters to get into the right gear, but more often than not (especially in VXR mode) it's in the right gear at the right time when you are pushing on. For me at least the 9 speed gearbox is one of the highlights of the ZB range, and this is coming from a hardcore manual guy.

Very occasionally the gearbox in my car will hold onto 2nd gear longer than you'd expect it to, but otherwise it works flawlessly. It downshifts as you slow down to be in the correct gear when you need to accelerate. You can hear and feel it as it downshifts, almost like you experience in a manual. I've never driven an automatic like it. The DSG gearboxes are very snappy but the gearbox in the ZB is very close behind.

The Buick owners complain about not having steering gearshift paddles. Personally I think they are a waste of time as the gearbox does such a good job.

Incidentally here's a link to a road test video of the Buick equivalent. This guy rates the car. The speedo is in MPH with 90 MPH at the top of the dial.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i find the 9 speed works well in both city and country conditions, it handles hills well too.
the changes are software controlled so there could be an update that addresses shift issues that some people might not have.

the only issue i have found with it is if i am on cruise control of about 100kph while going up a hill and i put my foot on the accelerator to overtake the gearbox will drop down 2~3 gears and sends the engine up to about 5000~6000 rpm and holds it until i disable cruise control or tap the brake.
this does not happen very often so it is really a combination of conditions that are needed to cause it and i am waiting for my next service to get the dealer to check of there is a software update that may fix it.

i would have to agree with the guy in the video above too, it is fun to drive and handles corners very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.