Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the ZB commodore like any issues? What do the owners of ZB think? Pointless thread ruined by one user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I Paid just over $50K Kiwi brand spanking new in my own color choice for my Calais V. Closest competitor on our market was the twin turbo Kia Stinger which had a retail of $70K at the time and the best deal I could get was $65K drive away in late 2018. I preferred the 4WD of the Calais, the handling, the shape, the lower weight, steering feel, 9 speed auto and general fit and finish. Stinger was ahead with outright power and torque, has nice quality paint and its advantages ended there.

There's nothing on the N.Z. market with the high level's of technology, excellent handling and decent performance for the money I paid and I am happy with my decision. My car is two years old next month and I conducted a survey of Trade Me and its looks like mine has a fair value in the low $40K range today with 23,000 km's. People told me when I bought my car I would lose my shirt with depreciation but it looks like it has only dropped 20% from its brand new purchase price in 2 years so I think that's a very good result.

My first car had a spectacular engine failure at 800 km's which I have posted about before. For many I reckon they would have exited the brand after that but I have persevered and the replacement car hasn't missed a beat, uses no oil and gives a satisfying driving experience for what is pretty modest money these days. I think the 9 speed auto is a particular highlight of the car. 99% of the time this is a really superb world class bit of kit with super quick and super smooth gear changes and I find it never gear hunts, (unlike the Ford 10 speed auto in the Mustang which I found to be prone to rough gearchanges and gear hunting). Just occasionally when slowing down to a set of traffic lights and they change and instead of wanting to slow you decide you want acceleration the 9 speed can be indecisive but its easy to learn to work around that situation by simply just asking for moderate acceleration at first.

I also appreciate the pretty reasonable fuel consumption, (can easily get into the mid 7 L/100 km's on a trip) and the fact that its 91 octane not the often outrageously priced 95 or 98 Octane, (the latter can be as much as 50 cents a liter more than 91 in N.Z. at times). There's plenty of power on tap if you want it for overtaking but otherwise I find my car is the consummate cruiser and touring car.

Last edited:

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
I've found the engine auto stop doesn't come on all that much, it must be the way I drive. ;)
The LED matrix headlights that the Calais-V and VXR get are anything but dull. I'm not trying to change your mind, just providing corrections.

What I will try to change your mind on is, don't buy a Stinger. It'll only disappoint you.
Thanks mate I'm won't be buying a stinger so don't worry from my research the new ZBs are full of problems I won't be buying that either I'm keeping my old VY ute till I die.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'd be interested to see your research.

Interestingly what is effectively the same car in Europe scored very highly for reliability.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'd be interested to see your research.

Interestingly what is effectively the same car in Europe scored very highly for reliability.
Except you hardly see them on the road over there.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Except you hardly see them on the road over there.

smaller cars are the preferred vehicles for many in europe but the reliability rating works the same in the way of say how many defects in something like 50,000 vehicles within the first year or so of ownership.
if it was based on how many on the road it wouldnt work because the golf outsells the insignia big time and it wouldnt be a fair comparison.

https://carsalesbase.com/europe-volkswagen-golf/
https://carsalesbase.com/europe-ford-focus/
https://carsalesbase.com/europe-opel-astra/
https://carsalesbase.com/europe-opel-insignia/

internet research will always be flawed on many products because the majority of the time a happy customer does not get online and run around posting how happy they are with a product they just use it but an unhappy customer will post online about the product whether they are looking for help or writing bad reviews because they feel they product is sh!t and want to let others know.

you could go back through many variants of commodores on this forum alone looking for problems and come to the conclusion that every commodore is "full of problems" but in reality most of them were/are fine.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
This guy from Jalopnik thought the Buick Tour X (bit like a ZB 2 litre Tourer though I think all of our Tourers were 3.6 litre) was so good he went out and bought one.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
The Buick owners complain about not having steering gearshift paddles. Personally I think they are a waste of time as the gearbox does such a good job.
As a Buick GS owner myself, I couldn't agree more. Having paddle shifters on a 9-speed is about as useful as a fidget spinner. I will admit, having the paddles to quickly downshift a couple gears for highway passing would be handy. In most instances, slapping the gear shifter into manual mode is sufficient.

In TheTopher's other video on the GS (POV Driving Impressions), he sums up the lack of paddle shifters pretty well:
"With nine gears, do you really want to be banging through nine of those gears on paddle shifters? Personally, I don't know... It's a minor gripe. It's not that big of a deal, or a deal breaker."​
I think the gearbox is fantastic, especially in GS mode. It holds gears on decel to keep the revs high and the engine happy. Rolling on the throttle at any speed, it's smart about choosing which gear provides the most torque. Punch it, and it's quick to respond. I'm not a manual guy, but I can't imagine shifting smarter/smoother than this thing does regularly.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
@Jack GS As I said, sometimes you want to give the gearbox a helping hand because one thing it is not is psychic. Because I want instant response I'll tap it down a couple of gears before overtaking, or when I am just about to start a hill climb. Then I'll whack it into manual mode and change gear myself on a twisty section just because I can. But I'd say 98% of the time it's left to do it's own thing.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
You could have got a VF Redline series 2, it has forward collision alert, lane keep assist, hill start assist, blind spot monitoring, rain sensors and heaps of other stuff I'm probably forgetting to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.