Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's this noise? Lifter tick?

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
Yeah getting a pressure test done tomorrow on exhaust. A pressure test will show up exhaust manifold leaks yeah?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It'll show leaks but not necessarily where they are, presuming there is one. I had to bite the bullet and drop a pacemaker, glad I did though.

Pete's SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Series II ute
I have the same noise now. Some background....I bought the car a month ago (2012 SSV with 54000 kms) with just a catback and the engine was quiet as a mouse. Last Thursday I got extractors and 100 cel cats and OTR and tune but only drove the car for 10 mins before dropping it off at my mechanic for a service the following day. After I picked the car up from the service I drove it home and certainly didn't hear anything but when I got out with the car running I could hear a ticking noise. I looked under the car with it running and the ticking appeared to come from the exhaust near the cats. I also listened under the bonnet and could hear it there also. I will take it back to the mechanic for them to listen but I am not sure if the noise is a result of the new extractors/cats or from the oil change when it was serviced.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Keep in mind when you change the exhaust to quality headers and cats you get more noise, sometimes a lot more. This is just because you've dropped wall thicknesses considerably. It can also be because they didn't use the right header gasket.

Pete's SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Series II ute
The gasket was the first thing I thought of.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Going from a cast iron header to a thin walled tube header will release lots more noise...

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Going from a cast iron header to a thin walled tube header will release lots more noise...
+1 definitely thought i had an exhuast leak after some 1 7/8 headers, going from cadt iron to stainless will have you looking under the car

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Hmm interested in the outcome, have something similar!

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
After changing the oil it is quieter, the noise is still there. I'm leaving it for the time being. Exhaust test came back as all good.

Can only really hear it when at idle and windows down and head out window or standing outside idling car. Not audible from engine bay. Mainly near wheels.

BenzemaSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Commodore VE SS Series II
After changing the oil it is quieter, the noise is still there. I'm leaving it for the time being. Exhaust test came back as all good.

Can only really hear it when at idle and windows down and head out window or standing outside idling car. Not audible from engine bay. Mainly near wheels.
Hi there, been a while since you posted but interested to see how you went with all of this? I have a VE SS S2 with the L77, been getting a ticking noise at idle and with acceleration, usually till about 2000 rpm and engine take over from there. I thought it was injectors, which I have replaced, noise still there. Using a large screwdriver to listen around the block its a loud tick all along the fuel rail, purge valve (replaced too). Kinda stumped at this stage, any help much appreciated