Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Nuts connundrum 12x1.5mm

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The nuts hold the wheel on, the shank is a snug fit in the cap, and the corners of the hex on the wheel nut, hold the cap in place. If you use a standard type wheel nut without the shank, you'll crush the cap before the wheel nut gets tight

All cars I mentioned, other than Holden have a 21MM head to the nut...Holden and I think Ford Focus are the only cars that have 12X1.5MM threaded nuts with a 19 MM head.....

Or if you are really worried, Hyundai I think have a 21 MM nut with a washer about 2 MM above the end of the shank, that is used to hold the hubcaps on...They'll definately work

tantalus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC L
All cars I mentioned, other than Holden have a 21MM head to the nut...Holden and I think Ford Focus are the only cars that have 12X1.5MM threaded nuts with a 19 MM head.....

Or if you are really worried, Hyundai I think have a 21 MM nut with a washer about 2 MM above the end of the shank, that is used to hold the hubcaps on...They'll definately work
Tbh, this has almost been a bridge too far for the sake of 8 wheel nuts...that's all I need! I already had the wheels, already had the caps, and for some inexplicable reason, had 12 wheel nuts. This is not the only commodore forum I've been on. A bloke on the gold coast recognised them as commodore wheel nuts, told me he had some...I arranged to pick them up, drove from brissie to goldie, and he didn't have the courtesy to be there at the arranged time...and now I can't get hold of him

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

tantalus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC L
Tbh, this has almost been a bridge too far for the sake of 8 wheel nuts...that's all I need! I already had the wheels, already had the caps, and for some inexplicable reason, had 12 wheel nuts. This is not the only commodore forum I've been on. A bloke on the gold coast recognised them as commodore wheel nuts, told me he had some...I arranged to pick them up, drove from brissie to goldie, and he didn't have the courtesy to be there at the arranged time...and now I can't get hold of him

tantalus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC L
...and if you that's sad, wait til I get a discussion going about my commodore! I've mentioned it's a VC, but what I haven't mentioned, is that it's an alleged "Royal" 4 cylinder! Now that's sad

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
...and if you that's sad, wait til I get a discussion going about my commodore! I've mentioned it's a VC, but what I haven't mentioned, is that it's an alleged "Royal" 4 cylinder! Now that's sad

A 4 banger....I'm fairly sure those have a 7/16 thread....If so, look for Torana sprinter wheel nuts...They"re a similar shape for memory...

Here's the wheels I'm referring to

1683020034454.png

And those wheels are being made again

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The wheel nut saga is about a different car

I'm sure 4 banger commodores had 7/16 thread, which makes the picture I posted up relevant...Torana had 7/16 thread wheel nuts and the wheels on the car I posted have the wheel nuts you are chasing..

So I'm narrowing down the search for you

tantalus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC L
I'm sure 4 banger commodores had 7/16 thread, which makes the picture I posted up relevant...Torana had 7/16 thread wheel nuts and the wheels on the car I posted have the wheel nuts you are chasing..

So I'm narrowing down the search for you
The wheel nuts are not for the commodore, they are for a hilux.
Toyota are 12 x 1.5, and are the same pcd as ford

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
The wheel nuts are not for the commodore, they are for a hilux.
Toyota are 12 x 1.5, and are the same pcd as ford
The taper is for steel rims.
The shank is for mag/alloy wheels.
Having both means you can use those nuts on both steel/alloy wheels @ interchangeable.
Many cars with factory alloys rims have/use cheaper steel rim as spare tyre.
The nut taper is a factory safety measure when using the factory spare steel wheel with factory alloy wheel cars.

Your pic looks similar to the old Toyota nuts with taper that had a pressed washer on the shank, cut washer off shank and use it if the length is ok for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-73137TB-Chrome-Toyota/dp/B00G92F9E0

Don”t worry about **** stirrers/tyre kickers, there is always someone on the net everywhere @ trying to @ excuse the pun @ kick you in the nuts.

tantalus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC L
The taper is for steel rims.
The shank is for mag/alloy wheels.
Having both means you can use those nuts on both steel/alloy wheels @ interchangeable.
Many cars with factory alloys rims have/use cheaper steel rim as spare tyre.
The nut taper is a factory safety measure when using the factory spare steel wheel with factory alloy wheel cars.

Your pic looks similar to the old Toyota nuts with taper that had a pressed washer on the shank, cut washer off shank and use it if the length is ok for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-73137TB-Chrome-Toyota/dp/B00G92F9E0

Don”t worry about **** stirrers/tyre kickers, there is always someone on the net everywhere @ trying to @ excuse the pun @ kick you in the nuts.
Great pun!! The shank locates the caps in this case, much like the shank locates the alloys, so alloys don't need the taper, as long as the wheel nut doesn't bottom out before the wheel is tight. I've looked at those you posted, and would probably do the job...the only problem is the shank on those is very narrow, maybe 15mm, whereas the hole in the cap is 20mm