Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel spacers to make Brembo's fit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, there are WOF's and then there are WOF's ;)

I bet there are a lot of cars that aren't up to standard but that is (mostly) because people don't do **** until they get failed for it at a WOF time. If lets say a light fails a week after a new WOF then most likely it will stay like that for the next 6 months to a year.

Depending on where you get your WOF done they will fail you on illegal mods like been lowered way to much but mods like headers aren't illegal here in NZ. I believe the law is that you don't need to get engine mods certified until the engine produces greater than 110% of the original power output. Now I have no idea how much extra power my mods make (honest) ;)

Edit: I should probably add that if you get stickered by the cops and have to get a new WOF than the test becomes a lot harder and they start looking at the car a lot more carefully and the price doubles to boot :mad:

Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Sorry mate, but your wrong with that statement....All tyre size regulations are identical throughout Australia and have been for 15 years or so....The reason being is, a tyre shop is responsible for ensuring a tyre/s fitted to a vehicle is legal, otherwise if the vehicle is involved in an accident anywhere in this country, and the tyre shop is found to have fitted the incorrect tyre/s to the car, they are responsible for all damages....They are also responsible to ensure the car is roadworthy with tyre/s....Again, if the car is defected as a result of an incorrectly fitted tyre/s, the tyre shop is responsible for the costs of replacing the tyre/s and removing the defect for the tyre/s.

Why do you think you can have your tyre/s replaced anywhere in Australia, regardless of where the car is registered?
Is that right that the tyre service is responsible for ensuring the tyres that they fit are legal? I just had a couple of tyres fitted to my ute (245 40 19) and they were going to fit tyres with a 94 weight rating. Mine is supposed to have 98. They said "they should be okay" but I was wondering how the insurance would go in the case of an accident. I didn't feel confident about the 94s so I got 98s. But the tyre service didn't seem to care too much.

H

harrop.senator

Legally they're responsible. Anything that leaves an accredited workshop in unroadworthy or unsafe condition has the shop liable as they let it out the door unroadworthy or safe.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is that right that the tyre service is responsible for ensuring the tyres that they fit are legal? I just had a couple of tyres fitted to my ute (245 40 19) and they were going to fit tyres with a 94 weight rating. Mine is supposed to have 98. They said "they should be okay" but I was wondering how the insurance would go in the case of an accident. I didn't feel confident about the 94s so I got 98s. But the tyre service didn't seem to care too much.

As Harrop Senator said, yes a tyre shop is responsible for ensuring the tyre/s fitted to the car is legal.....This is why peoples details are placed onto a job card and into a computer along with the tyre choice....It is a paper trail that can be used with both parties, when it comes to any sort of dispute that should arrise from either party regarding what tyre/s was fitted to what car.

Generally the public think this is used to help them next time they come in for tyres (and it's also used in the mechanical field), as well as ensuring what they have requested be done is passed on correctly but aren't actually aware it is also used for this purpose.

Providing your tyre placard states you are surposed to have 98 rated tyres fitted, go back to the tyre shop with your car and point this out....Also point out, that having under load rated tyres on your car makes it unroadworthy, therefore will void your insurance policy in the event of an accident.

It maybe also adviseable to contact your insurance company and ask them the question about underload rated tyre/s being fitted and the validity of your insurance policy in the event of an accident with them fitted. Then front the tyre shop and see their reaction from that.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Legally they're responsible. Anything that leaves an accredited workshop in unroadworthy or unsafe condition has the shop liable as they let it out the door unroadworthy or safe.

Just a little correction.....Leaving any workshop.....Having an accredited workshop is probably the best place to have work done, as they have generally been around a while, therefore the general public stands more of a chance of getting some where....The fly by nighters, generally pack up and rack off at the first hint of trouble...

And yes, you are correct with your statement

H

harrop.senator

Yeah place I work at now's been around 30 years n he even rung the police to warn them a driver planned on driving their in limbo car. ( defect notice expired , car still licensed so can't accquire a moving permit) as hed explained multiple times it couldn't and they were going to and we were responsible for it even once leaving the shop as we failed the inspection and couldn't extend the defect as was out of date to cover our arse. And apparently wed get in trouble if we didn't as he rung the licensing centre to try and fix it but it's a stupid grey area and they wanted it towed off site.