Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When height measurements are made to determine if the car is at legal height in South Australia it is taken from the centre of the rim to the base of the guard.

This method may not be 100% accurate, but considering the centre of the rim would be approximately 5MM, 2MM would be SFA in the grand scheme of things, if you didn't get it exactly dead centre and exactly in the middle of the guard lip

I am unsure how other states operate with this side of things....

I'll also mention, rim and tyre sizing would have SFA to do with overall height. When we change our rim diametres, we get tyres to suit, so the rolling radius (ie overall height) matches the rim/tyre combo we took off...This helps keep our speedo readings correct. So the theory of different rim diametres effecting heights can be thrown out the window...

So @Ginger Beer posting up his particular method on how he comes about obtaining his height would be pretty damn close to being correct....Give or take 1MM to2MM

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When height measurements are made to determine if the car is at legal height in South Australia it is taken from the centre of the rim to the base of the guard.

This method may not be 100% accurate, but considering the centre of the rim would be approximately 5MM, 2MM would be SFA in the grand scheme of things, if you didn't get it exactly dead centre and exactly in the middle of the guard lip

I am unsure how other states operate with this side of things....

I'll also mention, rim and tyre sizing would have SFA to do with overall height. When we change our rim diametres, we get tyres to suit, so the rolling radius (ie overall height) matches the rim/tyre combo we took off...This helps keep our speedo readings correct. So the theory of different rim diametres effecting heights can be thrown out the window...

So @Ginger Beer posting up his particular method on how he comes about obtaining his height would be pretty damn close to being correct....Give or take 1MM to2MM
Lowest legal height in NSW

QUOTE:
The well-known measurement when it comes to vehicle lowering is 100mm. That’s what the Australian Design Rules (ADR 43) states is the acceptable level of ground clearance.

Specifically “any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any axle” there must be 100mm of clearance between the vehicle and a flat surface. Wheels and mudflaps don’t count for this measurement, however.

Police have a 100mm wheel on a handle they use to check for compliance

Picture-321-Small.jpg

Edit:
From googling some ADR's, the most you can lower, or raise, is 50mm, but, you still require 100mm ground clearance

Hence why my VX SS is around FE2 height in order to just make 100mm clearance with a 4" single tucked up tight

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Lowest legal height in NSW

QUOTE:
The well-known measurement when it comes to vehicle lowering is 100mm. That’s what the Australian Design Rules (ADR 43) states is the acceptable level of ground clearance.

Specifically “any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any axle” there must be 100mm of clearance between the vehicle and a flat surface. Wheels and mudflaps don’t count for this measurement, however.

Police have a 100mm wheel on a handle they use to check for compliance

View attachment 263328

Edit:
From googling some ADR's, the most you can lower, or raise, is 50mm, but, you still require 100mm ground clearance

In ACT they changed the ruels so now it's two thirds of original suspension travel with I think either 80 or 130mm of bump stop clearance.
It's fairly convoluted but that is what they decided.
I think the change came about here after a Lotus Elise got told it was too low even though it had standard suspension, the owner was a public servant as we tried to raise it for him.
Then his mate who also worked for the public service got one too and they wrote a massive complaint letter to Accsess Canberra.

Anyway height laws are getting off topic because the OP obviously wants what he wants regardless of legality. Even though in my opinion what he wants seems legal.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
In ACT they changed the ruels so now it's two thirds of original suspension travel with I think either 80 or 130mm of bump stop clearance.
It's fairly convoluted but that is what they decided.
I think the change came about here after a Lotus Elise got told it was too low even though it had standard suspension, the owner was a public servant as we tried to raise it for him.
Then his mate who also worked for the public service got one too and they wrote a massive complaint letter to Accsess Canberra.

Anyway height laws are getting off topic because the OP obviously wants what he wants regardless of legality. Even though in my opinion what he wants seems legal.
In the end the ADR trump

Unless you have a legal document that states the change for ACT vehicles, 100mm ground clearance is also endorsed in QLD, because they go off ADR, not sure about other states or territories regarding if the have amendment to the ADR

And a standard Lotus not meeting ADR would still be non compliant in NSW and QLD, why, because ADR, unless it has a exemption via ammend to ADR that has been sought by the dealer when importing

They are required to use the "New Vehicle Low Volume Vehicle Scheme
Evidence Examination Procedures Manual" and apply for ADR compliance

After a quick google I cannot find any exemption or amendment for a Lotus Elise, not saying it doesn't have one though, I just cannot find it

I assume this would affect all the other Euro spec hyper cars that get imported as well

I would be interested in any documentation on this from people who have had ADR exemptions done to their "to low" imported cars if your mate has any info on it

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
In the end the ADR trump

Unless you have a legal document that states the change for ACT vehicles, 100mm ground clearance is also endorsed in QLD, because they go off ADR, not sure about other states or territories regarding if the have amendment to the ADR

And a standard Lotus not meeting ADR would still be non compliant in NSW and QLD, why, because ADR, unless it has a exemption via ammend to ADR that has been sought by the dealer when importing

They are required to use the "New Vehicle Low Volume Vehicle Scheme
Evidence Examination Procedures Manual" and apply for ADR compliance

After a quick google I cannot find any exemption or amendment for a Lotus Elise, not saying it doesn't have one though, I just cannot find it

I assume this would affect all the other Euro spec hyper cars that get imported as well

I would be interested in any documentation on this from people who have had ADR exemptions done to their "to low" imported cars if your mate has any info on it

I don't want to go off topic, but ADR is passed by the Australian compliance plate.
If a Lotus Elise has a compliance plate it meets ADR.

Just how a Harley Davidson can pass ADR being too loud as ADR has exemptions in place.

You have to be a lawyer to interpret this stuff.