Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When will people learn

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'm afraid that I don't agree. Some specimens seem to fit into that box, but far from all.

Nevertheless, experience does seem the best way to learn life's lessons. I have raised my sons with that thought, but with the additional comment that it hurts a whole lot less to use someone else's experience.

You only know what you have learnt, you only learn what you are taught be it seeing, hearing or in some cases when you whack your finger with a hammer.

fireguard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru BRZ
I don't know any details of it, but people really do need to take more care! And better driver education would go a long way as well, not just forcing kids to get more lessons (120 hours or whatever) from their parents, which - let's be honest - generally means they're learning from people who also most likely know nothing about advanced driving skills, etc. The system is designed to teach kids to drive like their parents, not like people who actually know what they're doing.

And some of the people who are teaching their kids/grand kids got their licence driving a cop up and down the main street. Oddly enough they seem to be the ones that generally have the loudest voice when it comes to saying more hours, etc.

To me the education side of it needs to focus more on defensive driving, learning how to control your car in adverse conditions, not driving up and down a highway for 120odd hours.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Such a waste, of a car that is.
Seriously though as much as we think thank god he only killed himself the reality is that it affects more people than you would think it does. Firstly the family, then it's the friends, then the people that have to collect his remains and possibly any witnesses or good Samaritans that try to save him and then lastly the people that have to knock on the families door. For those of you out there that have the mentality that you don't care what happens to yourself and that it's your life please think of all those other people I just mentioned before you act like a tool.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
And some of the people who are teaching their kids/grand kids got their licence driving a cop up and down the main street. Oddly enough they seem to be the ones that generally have the loudest voice when it comes to saying more hours, etc.

To me the education side of it needs to focus more on defensive driving, learning how to control your car in adverse conditions, not driving up and down a highway for 120odd hours.

Thing is apparently car control courses do zip to improve one's safety, because they increase one's confidence to match the new skills one acquires. Pros of car control - i.e. racing drivers - apparently have a much higher crash rate with the rest of the population.

That isn't to say all post-licence training is for nought. The UK Institute of Advanced Motorists members have been shown to have a far lower crash risk, via implementing the System of Car Control. In the UK this is a charity overseen by govt and police. It is a bit anal though. Not 'supposed' to brake and change gear at the same time apparently, for example.

The Graduated licence system I feel is a step in the right direction; in addition the P test is now far, far more rigouous than in years past. But the question is - is it an 'authentic' assessment? A 'hoon' for lack of better word can summon up the patience to jump through the hoops, do the right thing, and get their P's. At which point they are unleashed on the roads and go nuts. Here, highway patrol presence, and tough punishment for extreme, deliberate speeders are what is required, along with car confiscation or even prison/fine/bonds for very severe or prolonged repeat offenders.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
According to tonight's news, the driver had only been in Australia for 10 months hoping to make a better life for himself. Majority of family are overseas where he will be buried. Also apparently drag racing a friend at the time.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if speed kills, everyone involved in motorsport would be dead. inexperience and lack of care behind the wheel kills people. that and being a total irresponsible dick head. track days is where its at.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
What a waste of a good Monaro.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It wasn't an accident, it was a crash. Accidents are unavoidable, crashes are caused.

Sad result from a stupid decision. He brought it on himself, but the families involved had no say, now they are down a son/brother/nephew/cousin.

Very true , as has been mentioned the man, or more accurately boy , was from overseas he is to be taken back to place of birth for burial , one of the hardest parts that comes with my job , is knocking on someones door in the early hours , to inform , mum and dad , that their son /daughter has been involved in an motor accident , it's even more difficult when its a fatality . All he needed to say was , " yeah nah , I'm going home now to watch Late Line ."

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
WE have all done stupid things when younger...Drink driving .....GUILTY..... Speeding......Guilty.......Unsafe vehicle ....Guilty......as one gets older and wiser the brain realises these things are in error .....we either come to this realization naturally or its forced upon us by fate...killing someone or having a very near miss... eventually it is hoped that young drivers wake up and grow brains before its too late...

Better instruction in safe driving and car control helps but its often not enough... reducing engine capacity is a waste of time when a rice burner wrx can equal or exceed a clubsport......in horse power

the sad loss of life is inevitable as BIG AL said "natural selection at work".....

find a better way is I think near impossible short of severe physiological testing and raising the driving age to thirty ( just a theory )