Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where's fuel pump relay

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
crazy really, such a specialized extra computer you'd think would make it highly economical

i guess if it was faulty it would throw a code?

trying another one hope it doesnt have to be tuned
They receive all their data from the ECU so no they just run different firmware and it changed each model year but they all function the same way and are interchangeable.

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i wouldnt just be replacing modules in it, id recommend if the problem is repeatable then get to a good tuner and have them log and then cause the issue and then they can see whats going on, if its a stumble then if they are logging all related pids for engine and trans if something shows up then they will know where it is

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I now have the original Fuel Pump and module in my 2012 S2 L77 VE Calais Wagon, after I cleaned & serviced it
its done 239,000+ k's

I wont go into details, as I get shite canned by another member, as he says I NFA !
I guess I do, because he said so !

Firstly -
Age of the Car ?
Ks' its done ?
Maintained correctly ?
Codes ?
Your problem is you were wrong once got called out for it and didn't like it. End of story
I have been wrong so many times I am used to eating humble pie and I think perhaps you ought to eat a slice as it is very tasty.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
So where is the fuel pump relay

VE series 2 Calais

It's not under the bonnet, not in passenger footwell (there's a blanked area for one) and there are no relays in back above the battery
If I remember correctly you were running a 3.6 LLT and put in a LFX from a 2014 and you are running the 2014 E39+ ECU ?
In reality half your problems could be from running 2014 VF code on a 2011 system. Not saying it is just putting it out there.
I would have got a hold of a 2011 VIN and programmed a ECU with the correct code for your car and engine before I went further as all you could be diagnosing is small differences that no amount of swapping will fix.
As mentioned you could also tune around the problem on a dyno but either way the problem might not be related to any actual issue with any module but just incompatibility with code.

So is you car a 2010 or 2011 series 2 ?
Only reason I ask is because I would have done things differently depending on what year I would have used the base LFW LF1 code and overwritten the 2012 LFX engine injector, timing etc.
Lots of questions in my head like what MAF did you use the 5 wire or 8 wire? it changed in 2012
How does the ECU know what transmission you are running as it would be looking for specific details from the TCM for your model?
Having done a couple now these questions are relative to your performance issues.

Last edited:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
i wouldnt just be replacing modules in it, id recommend if the problem is repeatable then get to a good tuner and have them log and then cause the issue and then they can see whats going on, if its a stumble then if they are logging all related pids for engine and trans if something shows up then they will know where it is
Thanks so you know any good tuners in Adelaide? So far I've got quotes at $700 plus just to disable the fuel flex sensor omg

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I now have the original Fuel Pump and module in my 2012 S2 L77 VE Calais Wagon, after I cleaned & serviced it
its done 239,000+ k's

I wont go into details, as I get shite canned by another member, as he says I NFA !
I guess I do, because he said so !

Firstly -
Age of the Car ?
Ks' its done ?
Maintained correctly ?
Codes ?
Hi it's a Dec 2010 but somewhere it's titled a 2011 series 2 Calais wagon

Cluster says 316,000 KMs, but the new installed lfx motor has done about 70,000kms

It's immaculate runs like a dream, incredibly luxurious, I do oil every 8000kms

But start going up inclines and it shudders....live data shows no misfires

Codes: it's always had fuel flex sensor issue & lately the fuel sender has been being a bitch since I tried a different throttle body in it

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Next issues I'd like to try.....

Cam sensors & cam actuators

Compression test

Fuel pump & filter but geeze that's a task and a half

With a stethoscope the sensor on the start of the fuel rail is incredibly loud

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
If I remember correctly you were running a 3.6 LLT and put in a LFX from a 2014 and you are running the 2014 E39+ ECU ?
In reality half your problems could be from running 2014 VF code on a 2011 system. Not saying it is just putting it out there.
I would have got a hold of a 2011 VIN and programmed a ECU with the correct code for your car and engine before I went further as all you could be diagnosing is small differences that no amount of swapping will fix.
As mentioned you could also tune around the problem on a dyno but either way the problem might not be related to any actual issue with any module but just incompatibility with code.

So is you car a 2010 or 2011 series 2 ?
Only reason I ask is because I would have done things differently depending on what year I would have used the base LFW LF1 code and overwritten the 2012 LFX engine injector, timing etc.
Lots of questions in my head like what MAF did you use the 5 wire or 8 wire? it changed in 2012
How does the ECU know what transmission you are running as it would be looking for specific details from the TCM for your model?
Having done a couple now these questions are relative to your performance issues.
hi mate thanks for a deeper interest in this car

yea its a 2014 lfx in a dec 2010 LLT series 2

they put an AAj4 ecu in it, and it has the newer MAF sensor and airbox

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
"Cam sensors & cam actuators"

If these are not broken,
Dont fix them,
If they do fault, they will let you know.
So I would leave these alone.

If its to original fuel pump,
Id be looking at that,
Yes its a job and a half to drop the tank,
or,
cut a hole on the floor pan, which is a couple of hours work [I have a thread on that].

Being you won't believe the crap it gets on the bottom of the tank unit base,
I had to replace the loom plug, as it had melted.

When I removed mine, I literally had mud in mine,
Cleaned every part of it with degreaser, including the filter gauze, hosed it down with water,
used compressed air to dry it,
Re-assembled it,
Refitted it and hasn't missed a beat.

I only refitted it because the one I originally replaced it with, was a GOSS from Repco,
and it wasn't suited for L77
c.jpg

hi yes mate look at this v8 pump (dunno if the same as v6) but the gunk in this one is a concern

im sure mine is the same, is there an additive to clean this out or off the pump/filter?

on this particular youtube video, i think he took the diff out as well? wtf

surely its just the sub frame, and fuel tank

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi mate thanks for a deeper interest in this car

yea its a 2014 lfx in a dec 2010 LLT series 2

they put an AAj4 ecu in it, and it has the newer MAF sensor and airbox

Basically I would be running the 2011 LFW coded ECU for that car with flex fuel disabled and then overwrite with 2012 LFX settings.
I would not be surprised if most of your problems disappeared.
Just need a 2011 ECU with the correct #serv number. Hell I would do the whole job for $100 and I am in Adelaide.
As long as you are running the 2014 HPFP and they didn't re-use the one from the LLT as they are different.

Reactions: Lex