Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whether I Should Remove My Muffler, Please Comment

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Series 2, 3.8L Executive
yer mate, Single Muffler

Is your exhaust single or dual muffler?

Put a hotdog in, in place of the centre muffler, & you can either straight pipe the rear, or put a muffler on it. up to you really

Both my V6 & V8 have a similar setup, hotdog in middle = less drone.

got single muffler, in the middle, im gonna cut it out and put a hotdog in its place, also what if i put a resonator on the rear side of the diff, will this tone it down a little bit but make a nicer note and be a bit louder then the havin the muffler, so hotdog then resonater, what you guys think ?

JC_VE6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
i have a VE, it has extractors, 2.5" mandrel system from cats. It originally had 2 mufflers, a mid and a rear. I have recently removed the rear - much louder and sounds alright, if it had no mid, it would sound real loud and real shite. I feel as is it is a little droney if it sits between 2000 and 2200, outside that it sounds alright and burbles a bit coming off acceleration from 5000rpm down.
I agree a hotdog is prob only option, straight through will drive you nuts.

JC.

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
I would put the hotdog on in the middle and put another one after the diff. It will take the sharp bark out of it and make it more of a growl with no droning! Good luck with it dude!

Cheers............................Pete!

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
So you think 2 Hotdogs

I would put the hotdog on in the middle and put another one after the diff. It will take the sharp bark out of it and make it more of a growl with no droning! Good luck with it dude!

Cheers............................Pete!

So with 2 hotdog, 1 in the middle, 1 after diff, that will still be louder then the muffler but should be sweet?, i've brought 1 hotdog so i'm just gonna cut out the muffler and put it in the middle, i'll see what its like to weather i go another one, what about a resonator after the diff ?.

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
Mate, you can actually get an offset muffler that is straight through but keeps the stock look. I have one on my Patrol and it sounds sweet with a 3" system, not loud but it still demands to be noticed.

Cheers........................Pete!

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
yer mate, i think mine is like that,

Mate, you can actually get an offset muffler that is straight through but keeps the stock look. I have one on my Patrol and it sounds sweet with a 3" system, not loud but it still demands to be noticed.

Cheers........................Pete!

I think thats what mine is but my car is just really quiet, i have mates with just cat backs, smae car as mine and theres are louder, and i have extractors and fat cat. But i enjoy experimenting on my car so i'll just play it by ear, edit it till it's perfect, should be sweet i recon. :dance:

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
get a cannon and a middle resonator designed to cut out some of the drone. Should be good for daily use.

However, i love the sound of a straight VN but that's just me.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dude, no CANNON on commodore

get a cannon and a middle resonator designed to cut out some of the drone. Should be good for daily use.

However, i love the sound of a straight VN but that's just me.

I do not like cannons one little bit, im gonna cut out the muffler, put in the hotdog, see what its like then, to weather i do anything else, then for finishing touches im gonna get a twin 3.5"dump tip. I'll keep everyone posted and might do a video on youtube. :dance:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I had a hotdog where my centre muffler was on my old car at one stage. Sounded dreadful, was really offensive and barky. Sounded like a 4 cylinder on steroids. Then i got pulled over and cautioned about it the day before it was going back in to the exhaust shop to have the muffler put back on.

It was really tinny and sounded terrible. I felt sorry for the people driving around me on the road.