Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which brand fuel do you use?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Slightly off-topic but what are the advantages of getting a fuel card?

The main advantage is for accounts reasons for businesses or business reasons, not really individual use. Most brands offer a fully itemised invoice thats sent out monthly for tax etc. and also it saves paying each time, you just pay the account at the end of the month or whatever the set period may be, which means employees don't have to use cash or a credit card to pay and do not need a receipt each time for proof of purchase. Fuel cards also often ask for an Odometer reading, or driver ID, or vehicle registration so employees can't claim personal fuel or fuel for other cars on their fuel card. Not that it doesn't happen though :p

Depending on the amount of fuel you purchase a year you can also obtain a small discount on the price with a fuel card from most brands. I.e. Mobil Card, Shell Card, Caltex Card. This is for larger businesses though, but the larger the consumption the higher the discount (i.e. government fleets like the Police, Fire, Ambulance and then general government fleets like Fleet SA).

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Ever tried E10?

Nah mate and i won't do it because of the amount of ethanol in it. Continual usage is like car suicide. The people i know who used it told me their fuel pump died and the fuel lines corroded. I'd rather put salt in my tank than that. It's better using the 4c off at Caltex or Shell you get from Coles or Safeway.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Slightly off-topic but what are the advantages of getting a fuel card?

The biggest advantage is that somebody else pays the bill :)

Reaper

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
The biggest advantage is that somebody else pays the bill :)

Reaper

Unfortunately, it's not always true.

Most leasing arrangements (i.e. novated leases) pass the fuel bill straight onto the employee. They are simply a cash-less payment method.

The nice thing is the fuel is half price! (pre-tax)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Unfortunately, it's not always true.

Most leasing arrangements (i.e. novated leases) pass the fuel bill straight onto the employee. They are simply a cash-less payment method.

The nice thing is the fuel is half price! (pre-tax)

I don't give a rats about always. I was only talking about my situation and well - it's free fuel baby :).

Reaper
(contributing to global warming for 18 years).

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I used to use BP Ultimate religiously! I have been putting only BP Ultimate in since I bought the car new from the dealer. I had done this for a year and a half until recently. I decided to try Shell Optimax or whatever they call their 98RON. I can tell you I now use Shell religiously! When I was on the BP Ultimate I was getting low 12's (litres per 100kms) this was all city/suburban driving no highway driving. Since changing to Shell i'm now getting low 11's without changing my driving style at all. And haven't noticed any difference performance wise. It's really surprised me, even when I drive the car a lot harder than usual it still stays under 12 L/100. With the BP Ultimate I would really have to baby it to get under 12 L/100.

So now my 1st choice is Shell, if I can't get to one of them I'll go BP Ultimate.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
I think Shell's 98RON is called V-Power.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Yes I believe your right. I don't take notice of what its called all I know is its the red pump and has 98ron on it and it gives me better economy lol. But I had a quick look on google and it seems that Shell Optimax was replaced with Shell V Power.

Thanks for clearing it up for me mate.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Well I have always wondered why BP attracted the customers that it does when every other servo offers discounts. Maybe it's brand loyalty or as in your case limited experience with other brands. To-date I have not used BP fuel and, apart from once or twice when I've been caught short, have only used Shell or Caltex. I'm off to fill up with V-Power then!