Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which extractors are best

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
Ok this is a age old question but thought i would ask anyway.

Im about to get extractors fitted. My left hand manafold cracked so its upgrade time

Anyway i have been reading heaps of different forums and asking around.

Some say the HM headers are best for my V6 but then others say the paceys are the best.

Ive heard the paceys look the best but the HM's have the best power gains across the rev range. Also go ttold the paceys are only good higher up in the rev range.

At the moment i have redback cat back system, K and N air filter and ss inductions cold air. After the extractors are done ill get the chip.

Which headers will give me the best over the whole rev range. As most would know the ecotec is good up top but could do with more down low and mid.

So would the HM's be best???

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Either would be fine. On a relatively stock 6 you wont notice the difference between the 2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). For the record I've got pacemakers and love them:thumbsup:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Pacemakers, mainly for their build quality.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you are keeping the car for a while, go the HM's, they are stainless steel. I prefer Pacemakers because of the way they are built. But any extractor on a stock engine will pretty much do the same. You will only see the difference on a dyno anyway. Whichever way you go, the VS is a pig to do extractors on, regardless of brand.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
I decided to go HM's for 3 main reasons:
a) As part of a group buy on Justcommodores got them at a ripper deal
b) Has the y-pipe included in the sale
c) Stainless Steel

When getting them fitted, i had a word with the mechanic and he reckoned they were the best fitting extractors he's ever installed. Usually they're not engineered perfectly and are slightly out (mounts etc). The ones i had, basically bolted straight up, not out of alignment, nothing to bend, modify etc. You won't be disappointed when you do get the extractors put in though, don't think it's a substantial power increase, but you will notice the car feels better.

Cheers,
Boojakz

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
One thing many miss is the length of the pipe before the collector, longer headers give more power at a higher rpm, and the smaller length give more bottom end, usually a decent maker can and should supply dyno figures with each tuned set.

Apart from actual manufacturing quality, like welding, thickness of manifold plate etc, most reputable names are pretty much made to the same quality but it might be possible to buy extractors that are not meant for the state of mods your car has, or does not have.

Shop accordingly for headers to suit the state of tune of your own engine, asking someone that's reccomending to you certain headers fitted on a much modified performance engine may do you no good at all on a stock engine with 250k on it.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
Thanks Guys for your help.

As cash flow was short i deceided to try a second hand set a mate had on his VS he was selling. We welded my manafold and just swapped it all between the cars.

Anyway they are a Hi Tech brand and them seem to work real well. Nothing hits anywhere and i can notice a difference.

It has increased my Mid range a hell of alot. I did notice that at revs the headers are loud, i can hear the gasses flowing out. Would say that must be because they are cheap build.

But i have no regrets at all the power has increased and overall im happy with it. Like most have said on this disccusion there is not much difference betweenbrands on a stock engine.

Might have to do a run at calder and see what difference it has made as far as performance goes.

Thanks all for your help

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks Guys for your help.

As cash flow was short i deceided to try a second hand set a mate had on his VS he was selling. We welded my manafold and just swapped it all between the cars.

Anyway they are a Hi Tech brand and them seem to work real well. Nothing hits anywhere and i can notice a difference.

It has increased my Mid range a hell of alot. I did notice that at revs the headers are loud, i can hear the gasses flowing out. Would say that must be because they are cheap build.

But i have no regrets at all the power has increased and overall im happy with it. Like most have said on this disccusion there is not much difference betweenbrands on a stock engine.

Might have to do a run at calder and see what difference it has made as far as performance goes.

Thanks all for your help

hey there might be a crack in the headers somewhere or maybe when you welded it a small hole might have been missed? also check your bolts are tightened up as the headers heat up expand and then cool so they might have come loose from the side of the heads? just thought i would post this as you said you had hissing probs or something dont want to gass yourself or someone!