Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

will a V6 VT benefit from premium fuel?

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I don't notice any difference, 91, 95 or 98. Done the maths a few times and it depends more on whether I do city or highway driving.

I ran 91 in my VN for 10 years, no dramas. I put 91 in my LS1 goes bloody brilliant, I can't notice any difference to 98, but I'm not an anally pedantic dyno capable of sensing an extra kw or two.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
People will say all sorts of conflicting stuff here with this question.

In terms of better mileage, do a test yourself and see. Some people claim to get more kms from a tank of premium over regular, others about the same, others (like myself when I had a VX V6) get less. You need to work out whether the extra kms (if any) offset the higher price at the pump.

In terms of "running better", that's a pretty subjective thing, again try it out yourself.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
I cant believe people can feel any difference in the boat anchor v6. FFS its an ecotec it will run on piss.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Easily make an extra 1-2 rwkw.....

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Running premium will cost you an extra few hundred bucks a year, that 15c/L adds up pretty quickly. Work it how much it will cost you for your useage and decide if you'd rather have that money for other things. I use 98 because my car is tuned for it, and running 91 in an LS1 requires lots of spark retard in the sub-2000 rpm range. The peak power gain is only like 10kw. In a lower compression engine 91 is just fine.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
I cant believe people can feel any difference in the boat anchor v6. FFS its an ecotec it will run on piss.

Personally I don't listen to anyone that has beast or sik in their names! Kidding.

In my last car, I ran both 91 and 98 from BP for 1000kms and did the math. I got .9l/100km better economy on the 98 fuel. That's calculated manually, not using the car's calculation ( which showed less improvement.)

Based on Melbourne fuel prices and a 75ltr tank @13.8l/100km, that's a rough saving of 4.8ltrs, or $7.45 per tank. Filling a tank with 98 cost roughly $10-11 more, so it was costing me around $3 extra overall. But when you also consider the better running and cleaner engine, I'm pretty sure I was coming out in front.

Now I have have an L67, so it's 98 all the way, but I still think I'd be coming out in front. Now if I've stuffed the calculations up, I'm sure I'll hear about it!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Reseting the ECM when switching fuels would probably help as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I would summarise as:
99% stock standard and owners manual says to use 91, then use it.
modified, mainly has it been re-flashed/re-tuned then it most likely is set to take advantage of the higher octane, therefore Use Premium.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
You will get slightly better mileage but costs more so it works out around the same. Maybe slightly less cost effective.
However the 98 has much more cleansing agents and octane boosters. Its all these goodies that you're paying for.