Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Its orange and apple to compare with VF2 SS, but it will probably flog the NG commodore...

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Keep it in perspective. We've lost the best thing to ever happen to Australia, locally made V8 (or Turbo 6 if preferred), large bodied RWD GT cars. Once you remove Holden SS from the equation what are we left with within a similar price bracket that has similar specs? The Kia Stinger GT. I dont think people are directly comparing it to the outgoing SS and saying it's the same thing, but it's the next best thing to replace one.

I won't be buying a new car for the next 3-5 years but if I was looking in the $50K-$60K bracket I would pick the Stinger over the NG VXR anyday.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Keep it in perspective. We've lost the best thing to ever happen to Australia, locally made V8 (or Turbo 6 if preferred), large bodied RWD GT cars. Once you remove Holden SS from the equation what are we left with within a similar price bracket that has similar specs? The Kia Stinger GT. I dont think people are directly comparing it to the outgoing SS and saying it's the same thing, but it's the next best thing to replace one.

I won't be buying a new car for the next 3-5 years but if I was looking in the $50K-$60K bracket I would pick the Stinger over the NG VXR anyday.
Yes sir, that's the point of the thread, chequebook journos spewing forth same rhetoric in review: Stinger is a large car replacement for the Commodore (it's not) else Stinger can be compared as an advancement in performance terms to the Commodore V8. You know, the old specific output chestnut "wow look at enormous power from minuscule swept displacement" etc. Nobody mentions worse fuel consumption to make that power, or that 2 litres 2x, 3x or 4x atmospheric is effectively a larger displacement than NA 6.2. Just important that off-boost is civil, pissweak low emissions Asian putt about.

VE_CalaisV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Yes sir, that's the point of the thread, chequebook journos spewing forth same rhetoric in review: Stinger is a large car replacement for the Commodore (it's not) else Stinger can be compared as an advancement in performance terms to the Commodore V8. You know, the old specific output chestnut "wow look at enormous power from minuscule swept displacement" etc. Nobody mentions worse fuel consumption to make that power, or that 2 litres 2x, 3x or 4x atmospheric is effectively a larger displacement than NA 6.2. Just important that off-boost is civil, pissweak low emissions Asian putt about.

Yeh but the average driver doesn't give a crap about all that you just mentioned.. And the journos are writing to the majority.
Does it compare power and performance wise?: Mostly
Does it compare size wise? Mostly, it's a large 5 seater
Does it compare price wise?: Nearly spot on
The difference I see is that it is made overseas (we don't have local option buying new anymore so this factor means nothing) it's not a V8. So the V8 crowd will either have to get into a Jeep SRT8 (for an extra $40K) a Chrysler 300 SRT (extra $30K) or any of the $150K+ Euro's or Lexus.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Or extra $400,000 for a Bentley Continental....
New_Continental_GT___3.JPG

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeh but the average driver doesn't give a crap about all that you just mentioned.. And the journos are writing to the majority.
Does it compare power and performance wise?: Mostly
Does it compare size wise? Mostly, it's a large 5 seater
Does it compare price wise?: Nearly spot on
The difference I see is that it is made overseas (we don't have local option buying new anymore so this factor means nothing) it's not a V8. So the V8 crowd will either have to get into a Jeep SRT8 (for an extra $40K) a Chrysler 300 SRT (extra $30K) or any of the $150K+ Euro's or Lexus.
A mini or swift has five seats yet that does not beggar a reasonable comparison to a five metre sports sedan. The exact dimensions are posted above, basically the thing has less room than a subcompact Trax, yet hyped directly to me in the target demographic as a large sedan. Ludicrous.
I think members are more savvy than general brainwashed public when it comes to practical vehicle matters. As such the suggestion of a replacement vehicle with claims to match size, performance and efficiency are subject to healthy scrutiny.
The point has been to highlight the farce of such hyperbole and discuss from an informed perspective vs mindless readers of advertorial spewed forth by a well heeled car company's paid marketing partners.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The 300 is on the way out too, seems like Fiat has run out of 1992 E-Class bodies to build them with, or some-such.
Cherokees are complete & total rubbish, you'd want your car-enthusiasm bone to have shivelled-up & been passed-out with a prior morning dump in order to accept actually paying money to be subjected to one of those.

Which leaves $49k Kias as the only <$150k alternative in that size.

Although if ugly isn't a problem & you don't need something large, the M140i is now Commodore money ... dunno for how long though, I think this is the last RWD generation of those too.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I get to drive a few new cars on hire, main thing I think the VE/VF misses out on to date is stop / start and associated hybrid transmission. I know the arguments for and against just seems the right direction.
The other aspect is gadget level like emergency braking, adaptive cruise, speed limiting and autonomous drive. Maybe that will be available to GM cars as retrofit?
What else new is worthwhile and should be in the car already for the money?