Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The main things missing in a VF for me are Android Auto / CarPlay (which could be fixed by a MyLink replacement which works fully with HUD) and radar-cruise. All the components are there for radar cruise, in fact I wonder if they'd have implemented it if the sensors weren't so flaky (all the false-alarms on crash-prediction).

These aren't things I'd have expected in VF, it was fine at time of release; but I'd expect in a replacement. The Mondeo thing will have 'em.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
So if you've seen this vid by the people at Ignition drive the 2016 SS, then you may find that they have done the Stinger as well, same driver, same track, Willow Springs. (I'm not sure it's public yet but I have seen it somewhere :B )
2016 Chev SS = 1:27:24
2018 Stinger GT = 1:28:90
2014 Chev SS = 1:25:71

check 11:10 in

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So if you've seen this vid by the people at Ignition drive the 2016 SS, then you may find that they have done the Stinger as well, same driver, same track, Willow Springs. (I'm not sure it's public yet but I have seen it somewhere :B )
2016 Chev SS = 1:27:24
2018 Stinger GT = 1:28:90
2014 Chev SS = 1:25:71

check 11:10 in
Wow thanks for the heads-up.
Randy Pobst gets behind the wheel of an unlikely new entry in the sports-sedan segment: the Kia Stinger GT. It’s got a hot, turbocharged engine and rear-wheel drive, just the way Randy likes it—and in no time, he’s sliding it sideways. But a great sports sedan is about more than just cheap thrills, which means really putting the Kia through its paces on the legendary backroads high above the City of Angels. The true test, though, lies at Streets of Willow, where Pobst shows the Kia no mercy, hammering it hard and pushing it to its limits. Does the Kia fulfill its mission of creating a car tailored to the enthusiast?
Starts off with Randy doing a slide off road in the dirt, says only way to have a sports car is RWD, says this thing rocks... for a KIA
Dude is one of my fave reviewers, and yeah, he loves the SS and GM's sports.
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.26.49 pm.png

This is MPH
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.29.12 pm.png

So 0-100 kph = 4.97 (5s?) Stinger GT AWD

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The upshot it is not a challenger to the SS in performance sedan stakes but it is good, better than an 86 or a veloster. It sounds a lot like the Starion did on launch in Canonball Run:
Has some pretty amazing tech gadgets too:

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
If the question was "
Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS in a straight line?

One could get a quick answer by taking it for an overnight test drive and head to the local Dragstrip to get some numbers.

Another stupid idea would be to drive your SS to a local Kia dealer an chase the next Stinger going for a test drive. There should be plenty on the release day or first weekend.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm waiting for when an owner takes one to a tuner to see what happens when they wind up those turbos.

There could be a few SS owners left with their tail between their legs.

Last edited:

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
60k for the gt, what a ripp off , the cost of manufacturing it in korea would be a lot cheaper than compared to 60k for a ssv red line made in australia.
kia australia must me rubbing there hands together, labour, industry cost in korea would be low compared to australia.
i wonder how much profit they make selling it fo 60k
i dont think there best model the gt should be over 35k, no wonder western car manufactures world wide are closing factory plants down and moving production to cheaper asian countries, then importing cars and selling them at the same price as the local manufactured cars sold for .
these cars should be heaps cheaper ,

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Korea's no Thailand; it's more like Japan these days, where people get paid a decent wage etc etc. Their main cost advantages c/f Aus these days would be volume (no OS head office limiting sales potential) & government commitment.
And don't forget that a $60k Redline would cost very little more than a $35k Evoke to build.
And in the same way, the $60k GT would cost SFA more to build than the $49k V6 Si, let alone the base 2L (unpriced as yet, but probably just under $40k).

Pricing is a big game, the company itself has to make money & everything has to be priced "correctly" across the while range ... a Stinger has to cost more than an Optima, but less than a Genesis. Additionally you can't underprice something too much in the market or people consider it to be **** just due to price; but you also can't overprice as nobody will buy it.

Dunno, AU$60k seems about right for something with higher-than-Redline equipment, which isn't quite as big but still seats four, is RWD, which won't be as refined as a BMW 5 or Benz E, and which should hopefully have Kia build-quality & reliability. Without Falcodore in the market, it's really only Hyundai's lack-of-reputation that's got it priced as relatively-low as it is, IMHO.